Honga River Report 9/30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honga River Report 9/30

I took a last minute trip to Honga River on 9/30, it was a perfect day with very light winds. I fished from 1145 to 1800, no debris was present in the water which made for great conditions when trolling. I launched from Hoopersville Boat Ramp & paddled around Lower Hoopers Island.

Trolling I caught 12 stripers in 4-6 feet of water, but no keepers. I move towards casting along the shoreline and at one point near Thorofare Cove, I caught non-stop 8"-13" Speckled Trout, lost count after 29. All fish were caught on Keitech Easy Shiner Soft Baits. I'm hoping the speckled trout will survive this winter, it's been very difficult finding keeper sizes. Also there was numerous amounts of bait balls the speckled trout/stripers were feeding on near the shoreline.

Congratulations on the specks. They seem to be abundant to the south this year in the early fall.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congratulations on a fun outing and thank you for sharing key details of your trip

Yes, let's hope the specks thrive and even expand their range. It would be interesting to know their migration patterns. I presume they head to warmer waters as daylight shortens. But perhaps some who delay perish in sudden cold snaps.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Nice to hear about the specs. Hopefully they will be back next year.

Comment

Thanks, that was a fun day on light tackle.

Comment

Working...
          X