Tangier/Pocomoke Sound Report(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tangier/Pocomoke Sound Report(s)

I've been light on reports for quite some time and with a small break in my family schedule, I've finally been out a few times over the past week. This week long recap takes place in both the Tangier and Pocomoke Sounds around the Crisfield/Saxis areas.

My break in the schedule started off last Friday before the CCA RedTrout tournament in Crisfield, MD. Its a super fun, 2-day tournament with a good sized kayak division. The eligible species are Specks, Redfish, Rockfish, Flounder, Weakfish, and Bluefish. The winner is the angler who can catch the largest stringer containing the most species. It really tests your skills. Although there is a separate kayak division, I think most kayakers take pride in beating the power boats (or at least trying to) each year. The nature of the target species lends itself well to shallow waters, which is where kayakers excel. As added motivation, the tournament committee restricted the kayak launch sites this year preventing us from accessing CBBT redfish, so we really wanted to show them that we could compete with them anywhere.

Friday was an exploratory trip for Hemmingway and I launched from a public launch in the Pocomoke Sound and proceeded to throw the usual paddle tails (Z-man, Bass Assassins, GULP!) at the marsh banks. It resulted in literally dozens of small specks. Most were 12" with the occasional 13.99999999 mixed in. They were plentiful and beautiful. If you've never caught a speckled trout before, now is the time to head south. In addition, we also caught rock fish up to 22".

Saturday was the first day of the tournament and even though the day before wasn't anything to get overly excited about, we returned to the same area. We fished the same creeks catching the same short specks and 20'ish inch rockfish for most of the morning. About mid morning, I managed a surprising large knockdown and landed a nice shallow water bluefish. He was 24" on the button and with most others going 13-16", I knew this was an important fish in the grand scheme of things.

As we worked our way out to bigger water, I get the call from Hemmingway that we'd been hoping for. He ran into the elusive bull red. It was towing him around on his trout rod. I arrived just in time to assist with a measurement and snap a picture of one happy fisherman. Truly awesome catch!!!

At this point, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling the heat. Gary had a rock, blue, and a massive red. I was waaaaay behind. As he headed back to the ramp, I followed the high tide up onto a flat. As I passed a point, my drum prayers were answered when my rod was absolutely crushed. The next 15 minutes were consumed by madness, as I too caught a near identical 47.5" bull red on a very light speck rod, 2500 reel, and 20 lb leader.

At this point it was time to head to the weigh in for that day just in case there were any difficulties with my photo submission via the iAngler App. Luckily everything went smoothly for both Gary and I. After Day 1, we he and I were sitting in 1st and 2nd place overall. My 24" bluefish turned out to be key, as it propelled me into 1st over Gary His bull was 1/16" bigger through, and he ultimately won the money Calcutta, so don't feel too bad for him.

Sunday of the CCA RedTrout tournament is a shorter day, with lines out by 1:00PM. We elected to stay in the Tangier Sound and did very well with short specks and rock fish. It was a very nerve racking day from my standpoint because all Gary needed to do was catch one 14" speck and he would have had more species than me; which would have secured his position a top the leader board. I would not have minded at all because anyone catching 4 species deserved to win; however, the speck gods would only give up a 13.75" speck to him.

At the end of the tournament, the kayakers absolutely smoked the power boats and took places 1st through 3rd. Great showing for our sport and it felt even better considering the rule changes they had imposed. The boats fished hard and also caught some quality fish. Great group of guys.

After a week of playing catch up at work, I was itching to go back. Luckily, I got the pleasure to take a charter through Rommel's Hearth and Outdoors guided trips. I guide only a few trips a year and on this one I was lucky enough to be the guide for Mark and his son Isaac. We went back to the Pocomoke Sound with the goal of getting Isaac a bull red and a nice speck. After a morning full of topwater action on mid 20" rock fish and sub legal specks, we made our way to the red drum haunt only to find competition from a boat. He made things tough on us and we never had a sniff. As the tide turned, the speck bite heated up. We got into a nice grass bed with some great specks. Needless to day, Isaac's days was made! We caught specks up to 21".

I even lucked into an unfortunate turtle and a baby cobia (my 1st from a kayak).

On the way back in we made one more run at a bull red. Isaac had a huge blow up from a big bull that didn't come tight. He got to feel the weight, which left him wanting more! Hopefully they call the shop and book their next trip soon because it was a pleasure having them. Here are a few more pics from that day.

If anyone if considering a trip around the Crisfield area, now is the time! Fishing is hot.
    Last edited by RavensDfense; 10-08-2018, 05:05 PM.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

I saw you out in front of my place on the Tangier PM me if your out that way fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Great work by Doug and Gary to dominate the CCA tournament. Their efforts and success help to raise the level of respect for the kayak fishing community.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

You folks are from a higher league.

Congratulations.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Great job
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Wow, that big speck is beautiful. What kind of camera are you using? Those fish colors look great.

Comment

Thanks for the report and congratulations Doug and Gary! Those big reds are tough to get a good photo with the measuring tape from the kayak. Did you sight cast the reds?
              J

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy View Post
                I saw you out in front of my place on the Tangier PM me if your out that way fishing.

It was a pleasure meeting you and your son, I will be glad to give you a heads up when I am heading that way.
                Gary

Comment

Thanks, all. Its a rarity to have things fall into place when time is limited.

Originally posted by Kubishark View Post
                  Wow, that big speck is beautiful. What kind of camera are you using? Those fish colors look great.
                  Surprisingly this was taken on an iPhone 8. Must have been the perfect conditions. Some of the others were taken on a Nikon J3, but to me their quality isn't as good.

Jman - No real sight casting opportunities so far. The water isn't quite clear enough. Its about 2' visibility right now and the fish are in about 4 FOW.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                  Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

As you already know, I'm super jealous I wasn't able to fish that weekend. You guys killed it! Great fishing and great weather.

Congrats on finally breaking the kayak cobia ice too (technically speaking, but it really doesn't count lol ).
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy View Post

Are you friends with Jimmy over at Cpt. Steves?
                      Brian

Comment

Yes, I’m friends with Jimmy. Just set up an Ocean Kayak for him trying to get him out in the kayak.

Comment

I thought so. I think I met you and your son before at the Chincoteague pier with Jimmy. Last summer it may have been? Tried for some sheepshead.
                          Brian

Comment

Thanks for the great report and recap Doug!
                            MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                            2016 Hobie Outback LE
                            Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Doug, go easy on the power boaters out there. Many are accomplished anglers and they have feelings too. Here’s to hoping 2019 brings further CCA TOURNAMENT rule changes that ACTUALLY evens the current unfair yak/boat playing field. (also, sweet jeebus that shallow water red!)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                              ========================
                              Hobie Pro Angler 14
                              Hobie Outback
                              Hobie Mirage i11s
                              Check out all my vids at www.yakvids.com
                              Follow on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEp...eAiuK2n9i5RFNg
                              Follow on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yakvids/

Comment

Working...
                              X