It's gonna snow next week.. today crazy hot on the water... Eastern Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's gonna snow next week.. today crazy hot on the water... Eastern Bay

Ok.. well it's not going to snow.. but temps will drop...
    But today was as hot as a mid summer day... beautiful.. calm flat water.. more breeze would have been great..
    it was fun on the flat water.

I'll step back a second.. with work... well.. getting days off is like forecasting hurricanes...
    ya just don't know what's coming.

Monday a week ago.. South River
    Beautiful day... worked up and down in places... nothing really happening.. winds picked as I expected.. a quick trip.. and of course South River...even this time of year a freeway.
    Turned around as winds cranked up... and headed back to port.. ducking some of the wind I worked an oyster bed and caught a nice 21inch rock... strong healthy fish.
    .. let him go...

Today...
    Launched at Romancoke at 11am.. dead low.. nice calm day... the fog and clouds were starting to lift... but oh.. oh.. so warm.. and the day on the water was hot hot for October. Was hoping the clouds would stay with me.. but not really.
    Worked my way towards the mouth... working depths of 20+feet.. sporadic big bait balls of fish..lots of topwater splashes on the surface... but no real action...
    moving towards the other side towards Rich Neck... and some deep holes... same thing... not really seeing big fish on the sonar...
    I moved off of Claiborne... and in a location from 15ft to 30ft started catching fish... all around 19inches...
    No bait balls at the time...
    Caught 5 with a rootbeer plasic, 3 white plastic, 2 hard plastic, 3 soft blue white... so I guess it didn't matter.
    But important no baitfish showing when catching those fish... which is fun because of the surprise factor.
    All jig heads were chartreuse.
    I didn't keep any fish... there were a bunch of smaller ones also...
    No topwater boils up at this point....
    I was making my way off Claiborne... to the point of Kent Island the fish haven area... to work the southside of the depths and eventually make my way back on the southside (towars launch)...
    And I see a blowup of bird action... first time all day... paddle my way like crazy to get there...
    Got there.. and of course a boat comes out of no where... and Im feeling selfish... these are my birds... been here all day for this... the boat is there... blasting in... I got a big tug on the perimeter... lost it...
    But once in the birds.. just a bunch a smallies and must of been tiny snapper blues...
    Lost "tails" on all my soft plastics...
    The boat raced out to south of Bloody Point Light where there were other boats...
    Later the boat came racing back in towards Miles River... I guess there was some chatter on the VHF... dash and go..

Got back into the ramp at Romancoke... super high tide again.. sure makes getting the yak up the ramp easy.
    Great beautiful day, glad I got out.
    Last edited by rob-kayak; 10-10-2018, 07:54 AM.

Thanks for the report. Heading down for a kayak tournament this weekend and very new to the area. Only have fished the bridge.
    Might opt for this area. Need to research it further.

Comment

Working...
    X