Severn perch and a catfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn perch and a catfish

I had not fished in about a week. Given the light winds yesterday afternoon, I decided to launch at Jonas Green and fish in two nearby Severn tributaries. I hoped to find some pickerel, but was unsuccessful in that effort. In the two tributaries, I cast a Gulp swimming mullet on 3/16-oz jighead on one rod and a Bignose spinnerbait on the other. In the first tributary, I had two bites. One came undone before I could see it. The other was a 24" channel cat that hit the Gulp.

In the second tributary, I caught 7 white perch -- some on each of the two lures. These are among the last perch remaining in the shallow shoreline areas. Once they are gone, perch anglers will need to fish deeper waters or wait until next May for the shallow water bite to pick up again.

I trolled three lines as I moved between tributaries hoping for some striper bites. I had no bites on the troll.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

The Severn River is upholding its trend for 2018- not much!😥
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Agreed.
      Even my best days on the Severn this season, mostly Weems Creek, have not been all that good.

We have not done well on the Charter Boat either, disappointing.

What is surprising is how many Catfish have shown up. I don't believe that they are a result of the amount of water coming down the Susquehanna.

Comment

Not only catfish but a largemouth bass was caught at the Solomon’s Island bridge over the Patuxent in the past week. That’s only a couple of miles from confluence with the bay and is normally solid salt water territory. I’m feeling a whole bunch of new snakehead creeks got established this year.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
          Agreed.
          We have not done well on the Charter Boat either, disappointing.
          Stacey and I took a Charter Boat out of OC on Thursday 10/4, boat left (late) dock at 7AM, rods in the water by 915AM, we had our cooler limit by 1030, the entire boat had its limit ( including for the captian / crew for those who remember that past thread ) by 11AM and we were back at the dock by 130. They said boat had its limited early this was the fourth consecutive day in a row.

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          Not only catfish but a largemouth bass was caught at the Solomon’s Island bridge over the Patuxent in the past week. That’s only a couple of miles from confluence with the bay and is normally solid salt water territory. I’m feeling a whole bunch of new snakehead creeks got established this year.
          I know i'm the minority on this topic, but thats music to my ears!!!
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I know of a large mouth bass caught in the main stem of the magothy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X