Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday Wye River Bennet's Landing...

Friday Wye River Bennet's Landing...
    It was a chilly early morning... although not as cold as it will get...
    only 43degrees f.
    The water was still warm and hustling to get on the water brought me warmth on a cloudy day.
    Winds at Thomas Pont at 4:30am were at least 16knots... which what was what I expected and my choice to go to the Wye where I could hunker down in wind protected areas.

Clammers at the launch didn't give any report of bird action on the Miles River... or near by.
    While there was a small group picking off the launch...

I headed up river for my first pass... and marked numerous baitfish groups... but not much in the way of large fish.
    I did pass over one good grouping on the sonar.... but no takers.

I decided to work some shoreline that was close to drop off... and hit half a dozen 19" to 22" fish....
    This was in 3foot of water... which is not my normal approach casting and not trolling.
    Chartreuse jighead and rootbeer colors.

The winds either had backed off... or I was wind protected... and it was easy yaking.
    After I arrived home... I checked numerous stats... and there was a lull from 11am-3pm...
    that was not predicted by any forecasts... I could have gone somewhere else.. but the Wye is always interesting with it's variety of depth and shoreline.

Getting to the top of the island... I headed back down river... found a dozen birds in a cove...
    all little fish caught... but it was still fun.
    Moved further towards the Miles... sporadic balls of baitfish... past Shaw Bay.
    And more small fish with splashes of baitfish on the surface.

Considered moving out into the Miles but it was close to 3pm... the storm front was predicted to move in.
    On the road at 4:30pm.. the rain started to sprinkle the windshield... so it was a good decision.

A chilly cloudy day... hiding from the winds... casting in place of trolling catching fish...
    Well worth the effort and another great day on the bay.

Thanks for the report....very nice.
    MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
    2016 Hobie Outback LE
    Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
    https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
    X