No announcement yet.

Rocktober Ends Like it Began (Patapsco)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocktober Ends Like it Began (Patapsco)

...with a whimper!

Launched to clear skies and glassy water at 9 AM Halloween morning. High tide was around 12:40 PM. Incoming brought a lot of mud and debris, so the water wasn't nearly as clear as I'd thought it would be from the launch point.

Trolled between Stoney and Rock creeks, and the channel heading into Stoney. Yozuri, an XRap, and sometimes a "Captain John Rig" (that's what I call it. If you've been to any of the local fishing shows in winters, you've seen Cap'n John. Basically a small umbrella rig that uses small thin spoons, so it's easy to troll from a kayak. Been a great producer in previous fall seasons).

No signs of life. The few birds I saw looked as bored as I was. When I had a rod finally go down (a few hours in), it was a dink. MAYBE twice the size of the lure. If I was using a 10" BKD, and not a 4" Yozuri, that would have been a good thing. Alas...

Wind threatened to pick up a bit from around 10-11, but then died down completely. Went into Stoney and pulled up a 15" on the XRap, for the lunker (and last fish) of the day. Saw some marks in Stoney and tried dropping a jig on them, to no avail.

Gave up around 1:30 PM.

Rocktober total was 2 keepers - all on a friend's boat at Love Point early in the month. Nothing on the yak. Nothing from the dock that has done great in falls past. Just a complete dud of a Rocktober. Between the warm temps (up until recently) and the damn dam...

I was optimistic, because Tuesday night I saw schools of bait moving into Stoney. Some of the bait looked quite large - perhaps even bunker! Fool's Gold, I guess.

I'll keep trying. Rockvember, perhaps?

I don't see much reason for further optimism, but hey it's almost Pickerel time at least...
    2018 Hobie Compass

Originally posted by gshappell
    I haven't even been out on the yak because of the lack of action and success at my shore spots. One keeper for me and maybe 10 dinks. Definitely a weird year. Seems like alot of the bait fish disappeared during those super low tides from the storm and just started coming back in the last week or so... Hoping for a better November.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
    Interesting you should say that. I didn't see much bait today and the 22" was healthy looking but under weight. I only caught 2 today around quiet waters park.
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

4 more hours today...same result. One 13" loner that wanted to play.

The ol "definition of insanity" is coming to mind for some reason...
      2018 Hobie Compass

Comment

Working...
      X