Slower Lower report Wednesday morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slower Lower report Wednesday morning

Yakmac, Mojopod, Yak67 and I had a mini meet and greet this morning...beautiful morning, flat calm, warm...59 degree water...launched at low tide...leaving the ramp, I saw fish on my side scan screen and decided to throw a paddletail...hooked up to a 17 inch fish 100 feet from the launch...Yakmac got into these fish as well...so cool..fish were scatted but chasing schools of Bay anchovies. The fishing was as good as the weather...we were stripping clothes off due to the warm weather...jackets were stored quickly as the sun came up....chatter on the VHF radio kept us informed as to color of lures, trolling techniques that were catching fish...we shared info to make sure everyone caught fish and had a good time...lots of keeper size fish were caught...I had to bring one home as it was deeply hooked in the gills and bleeding heavily...a fat football 23 inch fish...all the other fish I caught were released...I’ll invite my fellow Snaggedline fishermen to chime in...I call today “one for my scrapbook” days...good company, good weather, good fishing...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 11-08-2018, 09:38 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I was able to get out in the afternoon. Ran into Yakmac who said he was catching 21’s in an inner creek. Hey, why fish there, I’ve got other spots to be. Fishing for me was slow but steady, about 1 fish every 15 minutes and all over 16” with two 20’s. I ended up trying to chase birds way off shore at one point. The faster I pedaled the faster they moved away from me and ultimately the ramp. Gave up when I was a mile out and powerboat guys running in middle were spooking the fish. Beautiful day, most likely last of the season for me.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Glad you got out and got in some of the action....we missed you this morning, Mike...SMOG isn’t SMOG without you...and Yakmac and I were headed to the ramp when we got into those bigger fish near the launch..I caught three and Yakmac was hitting them hot and heavy...just one more cast...nope, I am tired, headed home...but Yakmac was having too much fun to leave...funny that he was still there when you got there...one more cast turned into another hour of casts...
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 11-07-2018, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Ron,

Glad you found some fish. I went out of Beverly Triton this morning and trolled for 3 plus hours. Got 3, 2 at 14 inches and 1 at 16 inches all on paddle tails. Frustrating to get no keepers but it was a beautiful day on the water.

Comment

Great morning to get out, as we got to our spot. The sun was just getting up and it was glass! I missed the opportunity to get a great picture of Mojo standing in his kayak and throwing top-water. It was a classic look.

The fish were not Fast-and-Furious like they have been lately, but a nice steady bite when you located them. I had to bug out early and met James at the launch and directed him where to meet the guys, and that the bite had picked up again with the moving tide.

Great fishing with some great guys.

Yak67
          2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo

Comment

Congratulations on a good catching day. The SMOG guys got the job done yesterday.

I enjoyed a day on the water in Eastern Bay in my boat yesterday. It was great to be out in November in shirt sleeves, but the fish in my usual shallow water spots were not interested at all. I covered 35 miles and had zero bites in the shallows. I did catch a bunch of 12" to 18" stripers under birds south of Poplar Island in 15' to 20' water depth. I caught them casting, jigging, and trolling with my casting lures. I tried topwater and did not hook up. With the clear water, I could watch several 12" stripers swimming alongside my popper checking it out but not biting.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Incredible weather, good fishing, and great people. One for the scrapbook indeed, Ron. Seems like every time we got into a lull, someone hooked up. So cool. Great to see you gents and thanks again for the invite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Doug

2017 Hobie Outback

Comment

Doug..don’t forget to go pickup that one color paddletail they tore up yesterday...

Comment

Several of the fish I caught had sea lice, so bigger fish should be here soon.
                  Mike
                  Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

You guys down south are turning your northern brethren GREEN WITH ENVY.

Good weather on top and legal fish underneath. We've had too little of either.

Congratulations.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Come fish with us Mark..you are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        Come fish with us Mark..you are always welcome
                        Ron,

Thank you very much.

Life has recently conspired to keep me grounded. But when I can, I would very much like to make the trip south.

It's amazing how different your fishery is even though you are not really that far away.

Keep those reports coming!
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It was an absolutely gorgeous day on the water. The fish were slow at first but picked up as the day went on. It was a pleasure fishing with Ron again and having him answer all my questions and it was nice to meet Mojo as well. Ron, that area by the launch turned into a honey hole for me and I ended up staying there for over an hour I was having so much fun, they were all smaller but there was a couple of larger ones mixed in. Big Mike when you paddled by I was tempted to head out with you but it also made me realize how long I had been on the water and it was time to go home. Thanks for the invite Yak67, it was my best kayak striper fishing day of the year.
                          Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

I keep trying to make it down south for a long time this year, but something always seems to get in my way.... if it is not family events, or work, it is the weather with all of the rain that we had this year. Hopefully next year will be better.
                            MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                            2016 Hobie Outback LE
                            Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
                            X