Severn pickerel are very scarce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn pickerel are very scarce

I posted on another thread that I would be fishing in various Severn creeks and ponds looking for pickerel. Over the past five days, I got out three times and fished in five different tributaries that have produced good pickerel catches in prior years. The first four of those tributaries did not produce any bites, despite throwing live minnows at the shorelines. This afternoon, I entered a fifth tributary and did not have much expectation of finding a pickerel there either. However, five minutes later I had a bite that felt right, and a moment later landed a 19” pickerel. I continued searching there but had no more bites.

Fishing on three different days in five different Severn tributaries yielded a single pickerel bite. I am now discontinuing my Severn pickerel search and have concluded that the pickerel population is very low and not a good fishery in the Severn this winter. I hope that lone pickerel can find a mate and make lots of baby pickerels.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"
Working...
X