Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Stripers in Upper Chesapeake Bay (Nov 12, 2018)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Stripers in Upper Chesapeake Bay (Nov 12, 2018)

Water: 47-54 F
    Air: 34-52 F

Launch: Rod N Reel marina (Marina West), Chesapeake Beach, MD (upper Chesapeake Bay)

Again, I hit the upper Chesapeake Bay for striper. I just didn’t have enough time to fish VA Beach, VA (7 hour driving per trip).

As the water cools down, it is getting tougher for kayak-anglers, especially in an open water fishing without any structures.
    Luckily, I managed to find some baitfish (peanut bunker and big bunker) and stripers @17-21”.

On the video fishing log, I tried to put information about how I fish for stripers in an open water:

Fishing Log:

Thanks.
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Hi Joe
    Always nice to see your fish reports

Comment

Joe - always thankful you share your knowledge with us who are less experienced!

Thank you!
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I try to keep useful fishing logs. There is no one-tactic-fits-all in fishing, especially in striper fishing. They live in such a wide range of water and water temperature. I want to keep public records for striper kayakfishing in the open water using the contour of the bottom, birds and fish-finders.

Thanks
        Joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-15-2018, 06:53 AM.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

The snow will drop water temps faster than a rock...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            The snow will drop water temps faster than a rock...
            Yup.

Question to anglers fishing the south of the MD peninsula:
            Does the north side spit at the St. Jerome's Creek inlet restored? The sand spit was wiped out by a hurricane few years ago. And the current at the inlet wasn't fast enough to attract predators I think. I thought the current wasn't fast enough after the hurricane. There used to be a lot of peanut bunker runs this time of the year. Do you see peanut bunker often?

BTW, The Lake Anna stripers (the same Chesapeake Bay striper strand) are more active in 35-47 F water (for striper bigger than 20"). Smaller ones are active in 50F+ water. I think it all depends on the availability of the baitfish.

Thanks.
            Joe

Comment

The inlet is in a constant state of flux...without an active and on-going dredging program it fills in quickly...and they just dredge a narrow boat navigation channel when they do dredge...biggest complaint for me is the crabbers have lined the area with lots and lots of crab pots...making fishing pretty difficult...lost a lot of lures to those pots...last two trips I have not fished the inlet...fished some outside and some back in the interior of the creek...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
              X