OC Backbays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Backbays

I woke up early this morning to fish behind OC to get my striper fix in. Between working a lot lately, and the wind blowing whenever I was able to go, I was long overdue for some fishing back there. I launched a little before 4am to flat clam conditions. And the fishing was dynamite from the start. I wasn't seeing or hearing any fish popping like they usually are doing, but they seemed to be just about everywhere in 3 - 4 ft. of water. It was basically cast, catch, and repeat. The average size was about 19" - 22", some dinks mixed in, and a few mid to upper 20"ers to get the drag pulling.

Once the sun came over the horizon, I switched my focus to try some experimental tog fishing for an hour. I've never really heard of many people trying for tog in some of the upper bay areas behind OC, so I didn't know what to expect, but I've been curious to try a few new spots for a while now. I made my way out to deeper water and dropped down some frozen Asian crabs I had brought with me. I certainly didn't find a fast and furious tog bite like you can get into at the inlet, but I did find a couple fish to my pleasant surprise! I released a 15"er and kept a 19.5"er. Sweet!

Shortly after, I paddled back to the launch and was off the water by 8:45am. I didn't notice it when I caught the fish, but the tog I kept had some weird tail area where it barely had any meat. I'm guessing an old injury or genetic mistake maybe?

IMG_0620.jpgIMG_0624.jpgIMG_0634.jpgIMG_0638.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Slobber Bob; 11-18-2018, 04:56 PM.
    Brian

Sounds like a great morning

Comment

I have seen a deformed tail like this before on a rockfish. I think you are right and it was an old injury, maybe from a boat.
      MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
      2016 Hobie Outback LE
      Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
      https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Nice report, I am going to try the backbays on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by WillisFishing View Post
          Nice report, I am going to try the backbays on Friday.
          I'd like to hopefully get out either Friday night or early Saturday morning myself.
          Brian

Comment

Thanks for your many reports... it inspires us to get out on the water.
            My friends have relayed to me good success in the back bays... glad you found them.
            Thanks again.

Comment

No problem, Rob.

I went back out there this morning and fished a few hours before sunrise again. The water had certainly cooled off a touch since last week. It was a little stained too in the shallows, but cleaned up as you got out a little further. The fishing was more of a grind this time and I had to work to get into some fish. But the lack of quantity at least translated into mostly more quality fish when I did find them. Low and slow seemed to get the best response. So slow sometimes it was almost as if I was dead sticking the lure.

DSCF1505.jpg
              Brian

Comment

Working...
              X