Trotline crabbing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trotline crabbing questions

Just got a Revo 13 and I'm thinking about doings some crabbing with it. I watched some great Youtube video's from Machburner. If I have this correct, the totline is comprised of the following items.
    The following description starts at one side and ends at the other.
    A weight and a length of rope to a float.
    A length of rope from the float to a chain. The chain is attached to the trotline.
    A length of rope (trotline) from 100 to 600 yards long. Trotline has snoods every 4 to 5 feet.
    A length of chain connected to the trotline.
    A length of rope from the trotline to a float.
    A length of rope from the float to a weight.

Please answer as many of the questions below as you can.
    What is the preferred rope for a trotline? I saw an article that suggests 5/32-inch (4 mm) Dacron polyester line.
    Where do you buy the bulk line? I suspect you can buy it from Amazon?
    What do you use for the snoods? The material is bungie cord but not sure about the diameter? Where do you buy it in bulk? How much do you need for a 600 foot trotline?
    What size chain and how much do you need on each side of the trotline?
    Are there limits on how much trotline you can have as a recreational crabber?
    How tight do you make the trotline? It seems if you make it too tight, you will lift the line off the bottom. If you make it too lose, it will drift up from the bottom?
    Do you set the trotline up parallel to the current or perpendicular or at an angle?
    Where do you buy chicken necks? Are they harder to find during crabbing season?
    Is there a preferred depth for trotline in a kayak?

Thanks for any and all comments,
    Eric

So first thing first. Do not go with a 600 foot trotline. Instead go with 300 feet. Reason being is from a kayak its a lot to handle. I started with 600 and am now down to 300'. Way more manageable. As for supplies, do a simple search for trotline supplies. There are also a lot of local shops that you can pick up gear from. Also you can buy already made. I went with the #4 Loctite for my line and 1/8th for my snoods. As for chicken necks any grocery store can order you a box of 25 pounds. Weis has them in stock. I cut my necks in half. PVC cutters are great for that. As for a preferred depth, it's where the crabs are. Early season they are 12+ feet deep. Hotter months they are in 2 feet of water. About 4-6 feet of chain on both ends of the line to hold it down. Old rotors make GREAT anchors. And 5 gallon gas cans make great floats. REMEMBER you have to put your DNR ID number on your floats. Make your pick up stick from PVC pipe and have it behind you.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Yup that’s the basics of it. If your getting started I would buy a pre made one or order one at a tackle supply.
      I made myself one out of para cord and knot the necks to it.
      Mine is 300 feet too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Steven and Brian for your responses. I found a local store that sells trotlines! I do have a follow-up question. What is it about a 600' trot line that makes it tough for a kayak crabber? MOC seems to do pretty good with a 600' line and he even did a video where he used a 1200' line. MOC has been doing this for a long time so I don't want to come off sounding like, "If he can do it...". But, I what is it about a shorter line that makes it easier?

Thanks again for your help,
        Eric

Comment

Originally posted by justeric View Post
          Thanks Steven and Brian for your responses. I found a local store that sells trotlines! I do have a follow-up question. What is it about a 600' trot line that makes it tough for a kayak crabber? MOC seems to do pretty good with a 600' line and he even did a video where he used a 1200' line. MOC has been doing this for a long time so I don't want to come off sounding like, "If he can do it...". But, I what is it about a shorter line that makes it easier?

Thanks again for your help,
          Eric
          Probably just a lot more manageable and easier to keep clear of tangles.
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I started with a 600 then went to a 450 and finally ended up at 310. My snoods are every 5 feet apart. The reason why I ended up at 300 because it was just easier to handle. Easier to deploy and keep tight. Than you have to bring it back in. I can squeeze into areas that a boat can't. Remember your in a kayak, so sometimes you have to travel. When the boats beat you there then what?? I can just tuck up in a cove and catch a half to full bushel by 10-11am with my 300 foot line. MOC also runs clam bags, I don't. When you live in Carroll County it's kind of hard to get razor clams. Chicken necks all day long, Razor clams not so much. I know some people that run 300 and 10-20 traps. It's just what people like. Start at 600 and see if that works for you.
            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
              MOC also runs clam bags, I don't. When you live in Carroll County it's kind of hard to get razor clams. Chicken necks all day long, Razor clams not so much. I know some people that run 300 and 10-20 traps. It's just what people like. Start at 600 and see if that works for you.
              For clarification, I've fished on several occasions with Moc when he's crabbing at first. I've seen him use razor clams at times or chicken necks at other times. It depends on the area and what he feels will work better so he rigs his lines accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
                Probably just a lot more manageable and easier to keep clear of tangles.
                It’s just easier to deploy and if needed quicker to relocate. Then there’s keeping it tight, longer lines tend to drift and get slack. It’s easy to fix with a boat where you can drag it with the outboard power.

It’s been mentioned already but just being able to fit it in small areas Ie between boat docks. Just keeps me and my kayak out of the powerboats way on a busy morning.

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
                  It’s just easier to deploy and if needed quicker to relocate. Then there’s keeping it tight, longer lines tend to drift and get slack. It’s easy to fix with a boat where you can drag it with the outboard power.

It’s been mentioned already but just being able to fit it in small areas Ie between boat docks. Just keeps me and my kayak out of the powerboats way on a busy morning.

Oh I see, thanks for that! I would love to try trotlining myself but don't have a way to do it hands free. Have been trying to figure out the best way for me to crab in general this season.
                  Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

How do you guys find the good crabbing spots? I'm not looking for your honey holes but advice on how to find spots? It seems that kayak crabbers can use waters that are not accessible for power boaters, especially in the warm months when the crabs are in shallower water. I will be coming from central Maryland (Howard County). Probably no reason to go an extra hour if I can do as well on the Western Shore.

Years ago I would run a trotline with my 18 foot runabout. The part a liked about it most was being able to eat really big crabs. I just can't afford to buy the Jumbo crabs. Any advice on how to locate big crabs?

Thanks again,
                    Eric

Comment

Finding the “good” spots is just like fishing, trial and error.
                      The other thing I will do is take a few crab rings with me to drop between docks looking for a better spot.
                      I also have a dozen rings and make a big circle out of them and just go laps until I have enough crabs.

Comment

PM Moc He's one of the nicest guys you'll meet. I'm sure he will be more than happy to help show you the ropes.

Comment

Hi Eric,

I just noticed this thread. I will be happy to answer any of your questions and give you any lessons learned that I have. Just PM me if you want my phone number. As for the gears the guys were suggesting, they are correct. For a kayak, chicken necks with the #4 trotline is the best. I can fit 600 feet in my 5 gallon bucket on my Revo. I use clam bags only on occasion. Chicken necks are easier to get and more convenient. I find clam bags can produce higher catch rates with larger crabs when the crabbing is slower. Once it heats up, however, necks is what I would go with. I use 200 foot, 350 ft, and 600 foot lines. You are correct that I like to use 600 foot lines when using necks. The shorter line is less work, but when exploring and locating crabs, I can cover different depths, slopes, holes and drop-off with one 600 foot line to locate the crabs. The shorter lines are normally not as efficient for me to find crabs, especially in areas that I am not familiar with. The shorter lines are quicker to pull in and debait. I use the 200 foot line only for testing a small area for crabs. If the crabbing where I drop the 200 foot line is lack luster, then it is short enough to quickly pull it up and move. It becomes more of a challenge to pickup and move quickly the longer your trotline is. Regardless of the length of the line that you choose to use and is comfortable for you, the gear storage is the same other than what line length you place in your 5 gallon bucket. The 5 gallon bucket will hold up to 600 feet of trotline baited with chicken necks. As for the length of chain that I use, it is 1.75 feet to 2 feet.
                          MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                          2016 Hobie Outback LE
                          Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Eric,

You've gotten some great advice from the experts here. But if after trying all their techniques you're still having trouble filling that crustacean basket in your Revo, cast a Rapala crankbait:

P1010101.jpg

The only crab I have ever caught.

Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Do any of you crab from a paddle kayak using collapsible traps? I know a trotline is just not feasible. My only concern is catching enough to make it worthwhile. I'm not necessarily looking for a bushel, just enough for a meal or two.
                              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Working...
                              X