Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone going fishing to Mattawomen Creek in Feb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone going fishing to Mattawomen Creek in Feb?

I just got a used 13' foot Revo. It came pretty much ready for fishing. I'm still working on getting incidentals like roof top stuff, PFD and warm weather gear. I was thinking my maiden voyage is going to be winter fishing in the Mattowomen Creek fishing for big blue cats. Are their any Snaggedline meet and greets planned in February that I can tag along with?

Thanks!
    Eric

Just my take but a Revo may not be the best to take out and learn in 36 degree water. That's what it was the other day when I was out.

Comment

Hey Eric,

Congrats on your new rig! That's exciting stuff. As OldBayRunner said, be wary taking out your new boat in the winter. The 5-50-50 rule is what I keep in mind: If the water is below 50 degrees and you fall in, you have 5 minutes and/or 50 yards of swimming before it's game over. Definitely get yourself a dry suit if possible.

That said, Mattawoman is a beloved spot by many SnaggedLiners for blue cats. You don't have to paddle very far and you can really fill the cooler quickly. I'd recommend an anchor trolley for your Revo, in addition to making sure you know a bit about anchoring. The tide at Mattawoman can get ripping pretty good. You can always beach yourself and cast into the holes along the creek, but I've always enjoyed anchoring. If you want more info on where to go, I usually use the Navionics web app or the paid app on my phone to find the holes in Mattawoman. Anchor up and have a good time. I'm happy to help out with any more info you may need, as are many others here. Congrats again!

Matt
      Matt
      Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
      2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
      10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
        Just my take but a Revo may not be the best to take out and learn in 36 degree water. That's what it was the other day when I was out.
        Wow, I didn't know it was that cold. Good advice. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the 5-50-50 rule. When does the water peak above 50 degrees? April? I have an anchor trolley I will check the Navionics web app to help find the holes. I watched MOC pull a bunch out in his video's. Looks like he anchors in shallow water and throws into the channel. That might be easier than finding holes? I have a FF that I can use to find holes also.

Thanks!

Comment

I want to get out soon. Just waiting for a decent weather report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justeric View Post
              Thanks for the 5-50-50 rule. When does the water peak above 50 degrees? April? I have an anchor trolley I will check the Navionics web app to help find the holes. I watched MOC pull a bunch out in his video's. Looks like he anchors in shallow water and throws into the channel. That might be easier than finding holes? I have a FF that I can use to find holes also.

Thanks!
              Hopefully it'll hit 50 degrees in early to mid-April if memory serves me correctly. And from that point on you can catch rockfish all through summer into fall. And of course if you are having a rough day catching rockfish there's always white perch for the end of day morale boost!

After fishing Mattawoman many times, I've begun to feel like it's less of a spot with holes as it is a choke point type of trench. There are deeper holes for sure, but because it's a choke point with deeper water than a lot of the surrounding parts of the creek you can usually give it 15-20 minutes on a particular soak and then move spots. Whether that's casting or dropping straight down is personal preference. There are some whoppers in there though!
              Matt
              Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
              2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
              10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Local ponds, small lakes, creeks...all have protected calm waters..Revo is a cool Hobie model...lots of Snaggedline folks have them and use them in all kinds of conditions...but as a novice, new to the sport, I would advise you to only fish with buddies...rule number one is to be safe...until you have been there, done that...you don’t know...and it is always what you don’t know that gets you in trouble...in any event our winter weather looks to be in a very wet pattern that reminds me of last spring...so with high winds and lots of precipitation I’ll look out the window in my warm house...caught my February fish if I can’t get out, so got that itch scratched...a tip for catfishing...after soaking baits for thirty minutes with no action, reel them up and add a few drops of Pro Cure menhaden to freshen the baits or simply change to new cut bait...and if the current is running at a creek like Mattawoman and you haven’t had any action in thirty minutes, move...try fishing on the edge of drop off and flats, in the bends and then in the eddies..I cheat with side scan sonar, but seeing fish on the screen doesn’t mean they are catfish...big carp, mud Shad, and even big snakeheads all look the same on sonar...and finding fish doesn’t mean they will hit your bait...but not finding any fish means you definitely will not get hits...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I flipped my 36" wide fishing kayak in 42 degree water the year before last not on purpose, as mentioned the Revo is a cool fast kayak and at 28.5" it can be tippy so it will take some getting used to. That is my main reason for advising not going out in cold water with it as yet. Once you practiced flipping, re-entry along with casting etc. then I suggest you can venture to more year round fishing...… Funny thing Last week when I ventured out in that lovely 59 degree weather the launch was free and clear of ice. By the time I got back to it about 30 feet of 1 1/2 - 2 inch big ice chunks had settled in at the launch making it real fun to get to the ramp and get a cart under my yak to pull it out.

Comment

Eric,

I think the advice from Ron is sound to get the feel of your boat before tempting strong currents or cold water.

However, I have to add that I do not at all feel tippy in my Revo and I have been in all kinds of water with it. I've also pedaled wider kayaks and I have paddled and presently own kayaks with wider beams than my Revo. Cross my fingers, I've never rolled my Revo nor any of the wider kayaks I've been in. But there have been times when I was in choppy water in wide-beam kayaks that I wished I was in my Revo. Really...It handles choppy water very well. The Revo's sharp bow and slender beam cuts through waves more efficiently than wider kayaks I have used. Plus its added speed helps you get out of such water quicker. It also takes a broadside wave much better than many would think given its narrow beam. I try to avoid such hits in all the kayaks I'm in. I've ridden up and over broadside waves in my Revo and fortunately have not been flipped by any yet. I hope I can continue to say that in the future.

My very first kayak was a Revo. It's what I learned to kayak fish in. That model had a seat that sat on the molded floor of the boat. That low seat kept my weight centered and added to the overall stability of the boat. I learned to use it that way because I had no other seat options, indeed I had no other kayak options during those years, and I got very comfortable in it. I learned the boat's strengths and limitations through many hours on the water.

My new Revo has an adjustable seat that offers higher seat positions. I never use them. I keep the seat on its lowest position in deference to how I learned to handle my first Revo. So particularly if you have a newer model, I would suggest you keep the seat positioned low until you are fully familiar with the boat's characteristics on the water.

I have no doubt you will enjoy your Revo. I believe you'll appreciate its speed, its ease of pedaling, its resulting added range and its relatively light hull as you transport it to and from the water.

I look forward to seeing you in it this year.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I'll be back at Matta the last weekend of March---are you all saying that you're finding rocks at Mattawoman? I've never found a single one...or white perch for that matter, which is weird, because I know they're thick. If you're gonna be around then and want some hints on kitties in that body of water, let me know. We'll def get you on fish.

2016 NuCanoe Pursuit 13.5
                      2015 F&S Shadowcaster 12
                      2008 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT 12
                      2011 Native Ultimate 14.5

Comment

It isn’t any secret...Blue catfish are almost impossible NOT to catch...I have caught them casting lures for bass and snakeheads...they are the most plentiful species in the Creek...we are doing the DNR a favor taking these invasive species out of the water...the fact that they are harder to catch in frigid waters is due to the cold, not scarcity of fish. Shore Anglers take them from the pier at the launch all the time...the state record 90 pound fish was taken from Ft. Washington waters a few miles up river...the Potomac is LOADED with blue catfish... go catch as many as you can, you are helping control their numbers...they are not picky eaters...earthworms, cut bait, dough balls, hot dogs, cheese, chicken...all work...as the water warms so does their appetites...right now is their spawning season, like crappies...early spring finds the bigger mommas prowling the flats and shallows...almost every bend in the creek is a “hot spot” for catching catfish...luckily the bluecatfish is also the best eating catfish...great table fare..Marshall Hall, Piscataway, Ft. Washington, Harry Nice Bridge, Mallows Bay, Mattawoman Creek, Wilson Bridge...take your pick- all produce fish...
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                        X