Mattawoman Cats on Prez Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattawoman Cats on Prez Day

Pat (yakscientist) and I spent the morning at Mattawoman on Monday going for blue cats. We were both using top/bottom rigs and fish finder rigs, and both using chicken as bait. We got there early on a really high outgoing tide, and caught pretty much the entire outgoing. It was a nice morning with the forecasted winds never really materializing, which made anchoring and positioning of baits/kayaks quite easy. Temps also stayed quite pleasant.

We had consistent bites throughout the morning, putting a number of fish in our boats from lengths in the mid-teens up to a monster ~45" brute that took me for a ride. We got plenty in the 25"-30" range which is always a blast. At one point Pat was hooked up on 3 of his 4 rods, which was both incredibly exciting and really fun to watch as he navigated the glorious chaos. I think the third one ended up pulling off, but a few minutes later he hooked up again in that spot on that rig, so we decided he really went 3/3 on the simultaneous 3 rod hookup haha

The bite slowed a bit as the tide slowed, but we didn't ever fully hit a slump, getting constant bites and hookups with the longest wait between hookups being about a half hour. I think we ended with something around 19-20 fish between the two of us between 7am and 1pm. Thank the fish gods for the glorious winter catfish bite.

PB Cat 2.jpgPB Cat.jpg
    Matt
    Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
    2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
    10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Nice going on the Cats. The outgoing tide always seems to yield the best bites. Did you catch them all by anchoring, or did you catch some drifting?
    MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
    2016 Hobie Outback LE
    Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
    https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
      Nice going on the Cats. The outgoing tide always seems to yield the best bites. Did you catch them all by anchoring, or did you catch some drifting?
      We were anchored the entire time. I think with the speed of the tide and the various depths in that spot it would be really challenging to drift for them. I've never tried drifting though, so that's just my 2 cents!
      Matt
      Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
      2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
      10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Matt,

Holy cow that's a huge fish.

Congratulations!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12