Breton Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breton Bay

Gary, Teddy, Keith and I fished yesterday..a Hobie armada...catfish were the target and most everyone caught fish..Gary and Keith had the hot hand and chicken was the ticket...not chicken liver not alewife...I caught a flathead on white perch filet...while fishing I ran into a fella in a green PA -14 that I did not recognize....he was throwing jerk baits C&R fishing...we were above Abell’s wharf launch so that area of Breton Bay is closed to C&R Striper fishing...reminder that Striper population is in trouble so if you are C&R fishing I urge you to swap out trebles for single in-line replacement hooks and take the barbs off by grinding them off or mashing them down with pliers...use caution landing the fish and quickly release them...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-21-2019, 06:51 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

On Point Ron! We need to do our part. Great day fishing with you guys. The Blue Uglies were plentiful and fun

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

Great points that we need to heed. Most of my fellow kayakers swap out treble hooks for single one and bend the barbs down. Would like to see a shorter Trophy season, need to let those cows spawn!
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Great Job Guys! As for rockfish, I use only single hooks. Thanks to Kevin Frye, I went down to Breton Bay and caught all of the blue cats I needed. Chicken was the ticket for me, but others caught them on cut alewife. Here is a video that I did of the day...

MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
        2016 Hobie Outback LE
        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Nice going Moc
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Nice video. You ran into my buddy Clay and his neighbor, Sherman, fishing from the launch the other day. He sent me a picture of your kayak. They say thanks for the bait.
            Tight lines
            Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
            Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
            Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
            Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Great report. Looking forward to getting back down there with the SMOG crew again this year once the weather clears 70+ degrees
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Moc - when you use chicken for bait, do you use chicken breasts? I think I'm going to hit Mattawomen this Saturday morning and have some frozen alewife from about a year ago so it may be too mushy when it thaws and I'm too lazy to go buy more before then. Thanks!
                Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeith13 View Post
                  Moc - when you use chicken for bait, do you use chicken breasts? I think I'm going to hit Mattawomen this Saturday morning and have some frozen alewife from about a year ago so it may be too mushy when it thaws and I'm too lazy to go buy more before then. Thanks!
                  I've used nothing but raw chicken breasts (usually soaked in garlic powder or garlic salt overnight) as bait for blue cats and they love it.
                  Matt
                  Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
                  2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
                  10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Thanks! I'll give it a try this weekend if not too windy.
                    Mike

Comment

Thanks! I'll give it a try this weekend if not too windy.
                      I feel like raw chicken breast would stay on the hook much longer than anything else. Probably pre-soak overnight and cut into strips or chunks, so you can easily bait the hook while on the water...
                      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                        I feel like raw chicken breast would stay on the hook much longer than anything else. Probably pre-soak overnight and cut into strips or chunks, so you can easily bait the hook while on the water...
                        Thanks! I'll try that. I'll bring some mushy, cut-up, year-old, defrosted alewife as well just in case, but I have a hard time keeping that on my hooks.
                        Mike

Comment

I use chicken tenders....lol. I use them straight out of the package with no extra prep. I seem to do good with that sooooooo far.

I used them in this video:

PS: If you got to Mattawoman, go early in the morning. It should be relatively warm, and the winds should be low before the winds chase you off the water around mid day.
                          MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                          2016 Hobie Outback LE
                          Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

I actually put a couple of red Kool Aid packets and garlic seasoning on my chicken breasts and let it sit overnight in the fridge. I think it helps to toughen the chicken a bit to help it stay on the hook. I also put chicken liver in cut-surgilast gauze and make little bags of chicken liver, great for keeping the bait on the hook. I would say 75% of the bluecats I've caught have been on that bait.
                            Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

I like cut white perch on a spin-n-glo.....of course works best with current. I also look for hard bottom areas
                              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                              X