Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fletcher's 4-17-19

Well, today's report is kinda negative.

The choice was the shorter drive to Fletcher's or a longer drive to the Susky. Neither place looked particularly promising based on the USGS Real-time gauges (18+ feet on the Susky, 6.5 feet on the Potomac). But if ya don't go, ya don't know. I opted for the shorter drive.

The Potomac has come up nearly 2 feet since last week, and the clarity has dropped to 6 inches. There were no boats being rented today, due to the river conditions.
    The rocky areas were a swirling mass of of confused currents, and floating debris. I wouldn't want to be on a SOT kayak with the water like that.

I had 1 1/2 hours of casting practice with not one hit.

With rain in the forecast, it doesn't look promising.
    Back to bass fishing the local ponds for a week or so.

Bignose,

I've wanted to fish Fletchers for a couple of years now. What would you consider the best water level to fish that area? And are there certain areas I need to stay clear of? Any info will be appreciated and you can DM me if need be.
    Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

I have only fished there from shore.
      There are ledges that run diagonal to the Maryland shore where the shad fishermen tend to congregate that start above the launch. I have not fished below the boathouse.

When the river level at Little Falls Dam reaches 5 feet on the USGS Real-time website or if the wind kicks up, the Rental Center does not allow it's craft out.

It was 4.5 feet last week-just about perfect, 6.5 feet today.

I would not want to be out on the river at this height in my canoe.
      But remember this is a tidal river and the level changes twice a day. A strong outgoing tide at midday was contributing to the flow and turbulence.

They charge $5.00 to launch from their ramp.

If you are carrying your craft on your roof, be aware that there is a tunnel (where the actual canal flows over the roadway) that is 7 feet. I could not carry in my canoe on top of my old Honda Pilot.
      The entrance into the boathouse from Clara Barton Parkway/ Canal Rd. is a difficult pain in the ass. Most of the time, you have to slightly over run it and back down the driveway if coming from 495.
      At least they have added a stoplight to help one exit. It used to be a terrifying crap shoot as the exit is on a blind turn.

As you head upriver from the ramp you will encounter somewhat faster moving water about 1/2 mile up. Check Goggle Earth.
      It is very ledgy ranging from exposed rocks (depends on river level) and plunges to 60 feet or more deep.
      Anchoring would be a problem. Most guys use a rock and some rope.
      The way the current was ripping today, anchoring would not be recommended.

As you approach Chain Bridge, unless the river level is low, say summer time flow, I think that it would be unsafe to run a SOT fishing kayak there. About 1/2 mile above Chain Bridge is Little Falls, a Grade 5 rapids, so you are not gonna be fishing there.
      Last edited by bignose; 04-17-2019, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Before I moved to St Mary’s I fished the Potomac above Little Falls for about 20 years. Although safe to go out in a canoe at 4.5 feet at Little Falls gauge it was really hard to fish until it got to 4.2. I found 3.6-3.8 to be ideal.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
        X