Anyone going out Saturday 4/27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone going out Saturday 4/27

*I thought I posted this yesterday - if it is a dupe and I can't find it I apologize in advance*

I have a free day Saturday - wife visiting family, etc. and I am wondering if anyone is going out Saturday. I'm north, but don't mind traveling to mid bay or eastern bay. I've heard from a guide friend of mine that the Flats are a little dirty right now, and I don't know if anything is going on anywhere else.

Steve
    Bel Air
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

I'll be fishing the Severn for catfish on Saturday evening. Heard it was heating up from a buddy of mine.
    Annapolis
    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
    Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

I was going to be rock fishing on a buddy's boat but seems weather forecasts are calling for more wind than we'd like to fish in so... I may be making different plans last minute...

edit: I've been debating mattawoman or nanjemoy vs blackwater and going after some sneks (still haven't caught or eaten one, intend to do both as soon as I can this year)... any of the more experienced crew have recommendations on this decision given the wind forecast? or will this wind make everywhere difficult on saturday?
      Last edited by thedutchtouch; 04-25-2019, 01:42 PM.
      -Justin

Comment

Good point - Windfinder does NOT look good for Saturday....but that could change.
        2015 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

I'm hoping to get out Saturday, late morning into afternoon, preferably someplace north. I had considered Furnace bay for snakes and bass, or conowingo reservoir, or Im not sure where, I'm open. Wind could be an issue, but I won't forget my anchor this time!
          Adam

Anagennisi- 2017 FeelFree Moken 12.5- Orange Camo

Comment

I too was hoping to get out early Saturday morning but wind forecasts for Severn are upwards of 25mph at that time. Even the sheltered Mattawoman is around 15mph. Fingers crossed this changes by tomorrow evening.
            Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Originally posted by admwndsr83 View Post
              I'm hoping to get out Saturday, late morning into afternoon, preferably someplace north. I had considered Furnace bay for snakes and bass, or conowingo reservoir, or Im not sure where, I'm open. Wind could be an issue, but I won't forget my anchor this time!
              Do you launch at Perryville Park or is there a better launch in furnace bay with a shorter paddle?
              Native Slayer 12
              Native Ultimate

Comment

I've never been out there, it was going to be a exploratory trip, but I was planning to launch Perryville unless I heard of a better spot. Who knows if Id even make it all the way to Furnace, I just have been trying to figure some stuff out and see what I could find.
                Adam

Anagennisi- 2017 FeelFree Moken 12.5- Orange Camo

Comment

I've never been out there, it was going to be a exploratory trip, but I was planning to launch Perryville unless I heard of a better spot. Who knows if Id even make it all the way to Furnace, I just have been trying to figure some stuff out and see what I could find.
                  I hit the back of Mill Creek last year looking for SH. It was only one trip. No SH, but did get a few LMB.
                  Native Slayer 12
                  Native Ultimate

Comment

No other launch even close to Furnace bay as far as I can tell from the Chesapeake Paddlers map. Wind will be from the west, so maybe there will be some protection up in Mill Creek. If there is anything for certain, it's that wind forecasts can change! Let's stay in touch and maybe we can meet up.
                    2015 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

21/24 max 39 westerly wind Furnace & Miller isn't going to be a place you want to be.

Comment

I was planning on an all day sat,, but looks like a windy, muddy rise
                        Captian of the plastic Navy
                        1 - Mad River Canoes
                        1- Tarpon 120
                        1- Redfish 10
                        1- Coosa HD
                        2- Cuda 12
                        1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by thedutchtouch View Post
                          I was going to be rock fishing on a buddy's boat but seems weather forecasts are calling for more wind than we'd like to fish in so... I may be making different plans last minute...

edit: I've been debating mattawoman or nanjemoy vs blackwater and going after some sneks (still haven't caught or eaten one, intend to do both as soon as I can this year)... any of the more experienced crew have recommendations on this decision given the wind forecast? or will this wind make everywhere difficult on saturday?
                          If it's a westerly wind as it says, there will be some places you can tuck in and hide at Mattawoman. They might not be the places you prefer to fish, but you can probably find them. I fished there last week on that day it was 25 sustained with 30 gusts and ended up carving out a few nice shorelines when I could. I think planning your location beforehand by looking at Windfinder overlayed on Mattawoman is a good way to start. That way at least you know what you're in for! Good luck!
                          Matt
                          Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
                          2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
                          10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

YakMan 1731 gives good advice about planning your trip location and timing around wind predictions. Let me expand on the use of wind projections for planning a trip. Many of us look at windfinder.com to see the wind forecast. There are several pieces of information that you can glean from that site: (note that I only use windfinder on my laptop -- not on my phone. The phone may give different views and information)

1) wind speed at intervals during the day
                            2) wind direction at intervals during the day
                            3) how speed and direction are projected to shift during the day.

In most cases, windfinder is set to show the forecast tab as default. This uses one meteorological model. Results are shown for 3-hour intervals. If you click on the super forecast tab, you get the results from a different meteorological model. Those results are given for 1-hour intervals.

I have always used the table format to get my information, but when I looked at windfinder a few minutes ago, I saw the bird's eye view. This allows you to see the wind vectors overlaid on a map. By moving your cursor along the timeline at the bottom of the screen, you can see how the wind speed and direction change during the day.

Another wind and weather website I consult sometimes is the Dark Sky site https://darksky.net. You can type in an address to get localized wind projections. I do not visit this site often, but it does give an alternate point of view. There are other wind forecasting sites out there too.

The way to use this information is to look at the shape and orientation of the water body where you plan to fish. If you can find shorelines that will block the wind, you may be able to fish even under high wind conditions. Here is an example from my own experience several years ago in the fall. The Annapolis region was being hit by a strong nor'easter. The Severn River and the outer section of Weems Creek had large waves. I was able to launch into Weems and paddle upstream to relatively calm waters. The storm had trapped a tremendous amount of bait in the upper reaches of the creek, and many stripers were there feeding. I was able to troll in the sheltered areas and catch more than 30 stripers up to 25" while most other local waters were unfishable.

If you are fishing in a tidally influenced area, you should consider the combined effects of wind and tidal current. You will be more comfortable and safe if you use wind and weather forecasted information to plan your trip. Weather forecasters are often wrong, but you can still get some helpful information from those sites.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yep...that is why Big Mike and I fished Monday and Thursday...WNW winds sustained 20-30 gusting to occasional 40 looks like a great day to cut my grass, clean lures, oil reels and Mirage Drives...
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                              X