Fished in Church Creek this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fished in Church Creek this morning

Fish were holding all up and down the creek at about the 6&7 foot levels. I was targeting perch but didn't get a one. On one of my casts however, I brought in about a 20 inch rock. I never saw any fish near the bottom and casting to the shore didn't produce results either. I't sure was a beautiful day though.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Glad you had a nice calm day down at the creek...

I don't know what is up with the weather prognosticators these days... it just seems wind predictions can't be reliably forecast 24 hours out.
    Mid day Monday looked to be favorable... in many locations..
    Then it all changed.. as I was loading the kayak late Monday night... well it had changed..
    but the setting new crescent moon at 10pm and beautiful clear skies.. I was still determined to go.

My associated... also advised of the wind predicament thought perch fishing was the best option.
    And picked up some blood worms before we met up early today.

Winds were calm at the launch and we preceded with my original plan of trolling for rock...
    Yet as we got out to open water... the winds picked up.
    And proceeded with 2 1/2 hours of strong head winds... marking lots of fish and bait...
    Four or five miles later... and not catching anything.. we figured it was time to head back.
    Boat and wind waves often had a trough to peak of an occasioinal three feet.

With lines in the water on days like this... sometimes I don't even want to catch af fish...
    as a paddler not a pedal pusher... you end up losing a lot of ground getting the fish in..
    let alone untangling lines as the wind pushes you across them and tangling.
    But then again.. you might run into a school and make it worth it.

We turned around and headed back.. basically just drifting.. paddling just to keep straight or move back and forth over different depths to find fish.
    We maintained a speed of 2 to 3 miles an hour with the wind cross at out backs.

She always catches more fish than me... she still eats bananas ... and I haven't had one in over a year.
    I caught 5.. she at 6 (rocks)... none were over 18inches.. and swiftly let go back in the water...
    Blue and silver.... hard and soft swimming baits only worked.

As it was still early in the day... we found a protected cove near the launch... sandy bottom..
    anchored up... and perched with the blood worms.. top and bottom rig.
    I caught 8... she had 9... maybe I need to eat bananas again.

Apologies... hijacking your thread with my notes of the day.

Happy you got to get out.. it was a nice day.

Comment

I usually have Fish Bites or Gulp with me just in case but today I didn't think to bring them.
      John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

yes.. me too with the fish bites..
        not sure if the water is warm enough for them...
        I have thought about soaking them in a container with water that is warmer than what we are seeing now..
        I do have the "softer" type from the original that I have been carrying.
        My associate bought the worms... I haven't cut a bloodworm since I was a kid on the Chesapeake...
        and that was a long time ago..

Shiny hooks and fresh bait.. well it does seem the best.

Comment

John,
          What were you throwing?
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Beetle spins and white and chartreuse twisty tails and one white two inch bucktail with a spinner. The rock hit the bucktail.

One other thing was the water condition. At the launch, I could see rocks about two feet deep. The water was still murky but not chocolate brown. Also, on the meter, I saw what looked like black rain on the screen in several areas of the creek. I wasn't pulling up any grass so I don't know what this was. At first I thought it was a problem with my fishfinder but I was able to paddle in and out of these areas and it was repeatable.

I saw two baitballs during my 2 plus hours out there but no jumping fish. The conditions were perfect for fishing if only the damn fish would have cooperated.
            Last edited by john from md; 05-08-2019, 07:22 AM.
            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Thanks, I was there in early April, nothing. Sounds like it is heating up.
              John Rentch
              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I think as the water temp rises, the action will get better. I was only using 6 pound braid with a light crappie rig. I was lucky to get him to the yak considering the line is 4 or 5 years old.
                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                X