Patapsco 9/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patapsco 9/18

Met Bassman27 and Yak Fish at Ft. Armistead at 5:30 am to brave the rough conditions. Fishing was not hot by any means, but I had a pretty decent day. I caught about a dozen or so Perch from 4"-10.5", 5 Striper 3"-10", and a Channel Catfish that was about 10 pounds. The Channel cat is my best one this year. Bassman27 and Yak Fish caught a few small Stripers and White Perch too. This was my first time fishing from Fort Armistead and there are definately a lot of very fishy looking spots around, but the conditions made it tough. I can't wait to give it another try on a calm day!

Here's a shot of the Catfish. I caught him on softcrab. I used a small piece of orange mesh fruit bag with hog rings on the end to contain the softcrab piece.

Nice meeting Bassman27 and Yak Fish out there, hope to fish with you guys again.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Nice catfish. I was going to go out today but I didn't get a very early start and then I had an awful lot of football to watch.

My dad used to tell be about fishing for weakfish in the bay around Chesapeake Beach. They would sometimes use softshell crab and tie it on the hook with what he called elasticated thread (stretchy thread). I like the panty-hos idea mentioned in the other thread.

Comment

fished the scott key bridge on sunday, launched @ 8am seen bassman on his way in. i fished under the bridge.... caught white perch kept several most were arond 9" to 10" caught one that was just under 12" nicest perch i've caught in a while. one dink rock fish. i was jigging a kastmaster tipped with clam snout and caught six large catfish. water wasn't as bad as thought is was going to be. fair amount of small junk still floating around. when i talked to bassman he mentioned that you guy's went to the left of the launch. was looking as i paddled over to the bridge didn't see ya guys. hope you had a great day!! ""tight lines always""

Comment

I had a pretty poor day fishing. A single perch that I caught within the first 5 mins was all I could muster. I was really shooting for a rockfish with larger lures and spent a lot of time around the wealth of structure in the area, but the windy conditions made it challenging so I need to reconsider my setups for next time because I don't think I was able to adequately fish what I wanted....but that's part of the challenge and fun. I thought if I kept throwing rat l traps, spinners and bucktails at pilings I'd eventually hook into something. I'm looking forward to hitting the same spot again because it was a great looking place to fish with the yak.

It was nice fishing with shady and bassman...even though bassman's day ended not long after launch. I'll let him explain how he ended up in the drink Sorry to spill the beans buddy

We met some other kayakers coming in who said they got chased away from the foot of the bridge. They were told they had to stay 500' away. Has anyone else run into this?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
        Kokatat Pro Staff
        Torqeedo Pro Staff
        Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
        Alan

Comment

yak fish i fished the bridge all day from 8a to 5p on sunday and always fish the bridge i've never been told to stay away.... i did notice they had some barges at one of the pilings looks like they may have been doing some repairs to that piling.... i've seen the police in the area checking pfds ect never seen any issue fishing around the bridge.

Comment

only thing i could think if they were in the shipping channel then i'm sure they were told to exit stage right!!

Comment

Definently a bad day to end up in the drink but I definently found another use for the scupper holes that is till I get my pro angler then I can just stand point and shoot.

Comment

Working...
              X