Severn Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Report

I couldn't decide between trying out snakehead fishing or heading out on the Severn in search of perch/striper. The forecast persuaded me to go for the Severn with potential rain and wind. I trolled for a few hours and took a break in a creek to do some perch fishing and just explore for a little. I ended up catching a 9" perch on my first cast and no other perch after that. There were some large fish (>30") smashing some bait on occasion in the back of the creek in less than one foot of water that appeared to be striper. The water in the back had a lot of grass growing, which made it hard to keep the lure clear. I tried to live line the perch too, even though I thought it was a bit big. Something ran with it for about 10 seconds or so, but then spat the hook.
    I ended up catching a few dinks trolling on the way in. IMG-3033.jpgIMG-3034.jpg
    J

I hope you are correct that the large fish in the back of the creek are stripers. However, this is the time of year when carp are mating. Their large bodies thrash and and splash in the shallow water. You may have observed some amorous carp. I have seen them in the back end of some of the Severn creeks in previous years and have often found large congregations of them in the headwaters of the South River.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I believe John is correct about the carp. I have seen some in front of my house recently.

I trolled for 6 miles last weekend between Friday night and Saturday morning. I caught 6 fish, 3 each day. Smallest was 12’ largest was a touch below 20’ - that fight felt amazing after a long winter. I will hopefully be back out there this weekend. No perch yet, but I have yet to give it a fully try.

Where in the Severn were you? I was between round bay and the 50 bridge. Odd place due to lack of public launch, but it is the most convenient for me.
      Annapolis
      2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
      Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

I can't rule out that they weren't carp or catfish for the matter I was happy that something took an interest in my perch for a little bit!

I fished down near the mouth of the river. I've only trolled once up to Round bay from JG - there are some productive areas going up that way.
        J

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
          ... I've only trolled once up to Round bay from JG - there are some productive areas going up that way.
          Yes, there are.

For those whose only exposure to the Severn are trips across the Route 50 Bridge or USNA Bridge, it looks like big body of water nearly one half of a mile wide and roughly one mile between the bridges. But when you get on it in your kayak you are free to meander into feeder creeks and other cuts, inlets and tidal ponds between and beyond both bridges that are not noticeable as you speed by in your car. It's a remarkably scenic place to fish and in season a very productive place to fish.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That does sound like carp to me. They kept throwing me off last time I went snakehead fishing. You can paddle right up and check it out. They won't be skittish at all. Though they might bump you...

Comment

Can you coax the mating carp into taking your bait? I have caught some big carp and they would be fun in a kayak.

Comment

Originally posted by justeric View Post
                Can you coax the mating carp into taking your bait? I have caught some big carp and they would be fun in a kayak.
                Stranger things have happened. Always worth a shot. I threw a spinnerbait into a pack last year while bass fishing and hooked up. My buddy caught some last year on rattle traps.

Comment

Working...
                X