Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hole in the wall.... fun day..

Hole in the wall.... fun day..

so to cut the story short... caught one approx 16inch rock... and a bunch of very very smalls...
    you can leave now...

Got on the water at 8am.. the lagoon was dimpled... and some big splashes in the back.
    Head to the back of the lagoon... and it was crazy with large fish tangling and thrashing....
    Large tails in the water...
    and with knowledge from another thread about the Severn.. and a similar situation..
    John Veil had described this situation as Carp mating.

And that is what it was.. never seen it before pretty neat... tossed a bunch of different lures..
    thought maybe a perch or a Carp. I should have balled up some of the bread from my sandwich and tried that...
    Never seen Carp before.. particularity around the Eastern Bay.
    Something new every day !

I moved out to the river with winds and tide at my back... finally got out to some deeper water.. and then into the channel.
    Caught the 16incher..

I was going to go some place else this day... at 3am the winds were still strong northeast.. just wanted to get out on the water.
    Crossing the Bay Bridge at 7am... I changed my plans..
    While winds were predicted to go South and Southeast and 5knots or less around noon..
    I just didn't want to be in the open Bay if all things changed.. as they will...
    and this was to be a fun day and just be on the water.

I had always wanted to explore some oyster beds south of the launch... it had been some years since I had been back to the Hole in the Wall... and thus the decision was made. If winds didn't cooperate I could always find protected shoreline and creeks.

A little while later after catching the 16incher... I was paddling along and heard something...
    There was a fish... a blue'ish back.. not a rock.. not a blue... white belley...

The fish was about 10-12 inches... almost completely out of the water except it's tail.. at about 45 degrees in the air...
    swimming along... for at least 15feet...
    I kept looking at it.... waiting for some huge fish to swallow it... That had the tail in it's mouth.
    I even thought that there was some scuba diver down there holding the tail trying to spoof me.
    And then it disappeared.

I made my way to the channel towards the oyster beds... the channel ranged to 30 feet...
    Working mostly in about 17feet of water..

And then the sonar went dark with more bait fish than I had ever seen before...
    And shortly afterwards... explosive topwater action...
    Some marks of larger fish on the sonar... but it was just a massive school of little rockfish.

I tossed every color I have and that's a lot... tossed down under the school to get larger fish...\
    nope...

There were only about 20 or so seagulls working the area.. they.. didn't seem to have much success... I guess there were not any "scraps" for them as the school of rock were so small.

The Ospreys did well.. and there were a lot of them...
    They "thunked" the water all around me as though I was being bombarded by mortal shells.

A rookery of Cormorants did well also... diving down... pulling silver and black baitfish..
    Bay anchovies ? not sure

I followed the school back and forth... and it diminished... zig zagged to some other areas..

As I left the area and most of the action was gone.. the gulls had gone into a high altitude cyclone search pattern. I guess they were frustrated.

I wasn't... it was just cool to be around it and totally unexpected and exciting.

Now the Spring and Summer bring many wonderful fragrances along the bay..lilies, roses, marshmallow and lilacs...

It was low tide when I got back to the launch... and getting the kayak out... well I got stuck in the calf deep muck and lost my balance... falling over, and
    firmly planting my rear end into the stinky marsh muck.
    I can tolerate many a county smell..
    But "low tide marsh muck"... that be some stinky stuff.

Even down in Somerset County... could Bird Dog Wheeler (aka Bird Dog and the Road Kings)...
    know of a gal that would tolerate my saturated "marsh cologne."

It was a good day...
    Carp never seen before...
    The "flying fish"....
    Unexpected large school of fish...
    Good weather....

Just get out and do it...
    Thanks to all the people who post !
    Last edited by rob-kayak; 05-24-2019, 06:44 AM.

I saw a bunch of carp at Point Lookout the other day. Unbelievable. They'll be at the CBBT soon enough if we don't get some salt back in the water.

Comment

Working...
    X