Perchin' (and still) Searchin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perchin' (and still) Searchin'

John Rentch and I launched into Locust Cove at Downs Park in Pasadena this morning to look for white perch. The tide was rising and the winds were higher than projected. However, a great attribute of the Locust Cove launch is that regardless of the wind's direction you can find protected water.

Here's John heading out from the ramp:

P1040707 (2).jpg

When we reached the Bodkin we immediately headed for phragmites which experience tells us holds perch in these waters. You can see them straight ahead in this photo:

P1040709 (2).jpg

And this what I like to see when I reached them -- water lapping into the base of the plants:

P1040710 (2).jpg

Actually I would liked to have seen the water even higher. But the tide was still rising so I thought there was a good chance perch would be present. They weren't. Or if they were they ignored my offerings.

And here's what I was throwing:

P1040725 (2).jpg

I had 1/16 oz. jig spinner on the top rod and a 1/8 oz. jig spinner on the lower rod. I used the smaller jig almost exclusively on this outing.

Here's John fishing another area of phragmites:

P1040712 (2).jpg

He's parallel to the growth and retrieving his lure along the edge, a good tactic. John had a bump but no hookups.

At that point we headed into the larger Bodkin:

P1040714.jpg

I have a 'milk-run" I like to do in these waters hitting previously productive spots. John and I split company. I worked more phragmites. I got nary a tick of interest. Then I worked a long dock:

P1040718 (2).jpg

Again, nothing.

At this point John radios that he has three small perch.

I continued farther up the Bodkin toward the mouth of the Patapsco. John crossed the Bodkin and tucked into an adjoining creek.

Along the way, I fished this spot:

P1040720 (2).jpg

It looked like textbook perch water to me. Riprap and shade. And indeed I finally got some taps on my lure. I even raised a perch out of the water but never got my hands on it. So technically, I remained fishless.

I went all the way to the mouth of the Patapsco casting at likely spots along the way. I got nothing.

By now the holiday power boaters and jet skiers were out in full force. Their wakes were everywhere. it was a good reminder to me why I generally fish on weekdays.

John radioed that he was coming back across the Bodkin so I waited on the southern shore for him to appear. Then I watched him carefully snake through the boat traffic and speeding jet skis until he joined up with me to return to the launch.

The good news is that john found 3 more perch in the creek he visited -- that elusive species for me so far this year.

John with perch.jpg

In fact. I've been skunked on three tidal trips this year. Surely, better times are coming. I don't believe the perch have arrived in good numbers yet. Eventually they will and I'll be there to catch them.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Was nice to get back to fishing the Bodkin, a great county asset. I started throwing a 5 Wt. rod with a black Woolley Bugger. Am new to fly fishing, so I was anxious to land some perch. However my technique needs work, plus the winds pick up, so I switched to a 1/8 chartreuse spinner (one of yours, Mark). We had moved to the cove on past Ole Bee Pt. And paddled to the back end along the shoreline. I quickly got a nice 8+” perch.
    2019-05-25 09.40.41.jpg
    I kept working the shoreline and got a couple more small perch. By mid day, the boat traffic got busy, so we got off the water. Had a great time, but am still waiting to get a perch on my fly rod.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Mark - You are a good fisherman and usually do well on perch. Keep after them and you will soon begin catching.

The perch are not thick yet unless you can find one of the small patches where they have moved in. For example, I fished in Spa Creek on Fri morning. I caught 2 perch in a 25-ft section of shoreline and another 10 perch in a 50-ft stretch of shoreline. I cast to more than half a mile of shoreline that day but found perch in only those two small patches. I have caught perch in those two spots in previous years, which is why I specifically went to those places. To my human eye, there was nothing different or better about those places compared to many others, but the fish could tell the difference.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good perching is like real estate.

Location is everything.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

The only thing that can bring you solace when skunked is that most of the time, the fish is the least important part of fishing.

At least that's what I tell myself when I go fishless..........

Comment

Well said
            John Rentch
            Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
            Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
              The only thing that can bring you solace when skunked is that most of the time, the fish is the least important part of fishing.

At least that's what I tell myself when I go fishless..........
              Stu,

Yep.

For me, the effort remains as enjoyable as the desired outcome.

It's great to simply be on the water.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
              X