Somerset Co. Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somerset Co. Report

Late report. I made a quick trip for a couple hours after work this past Friday afternoon. I didn't fish very hard, or cover much water, but I was happy to catch as many specks as I did stripers. Granted they weren't very big, but a half-dozen 15" - 16.5" specks are always a good thing. They all went for the dark color (rootbeer) this trip too. No fish on the light colors.

They sure are pretty fish. I just wish they were all 10" bigger

DSCF1922.jpgDSCF1926.jpgDSCF1929.jpg
    Brian

Redfish and specks always make for a good fishing trip, and it's pretty cool that there are a few places in MD to catch them.

Comment

Good report. You are fortunate to have access to specks as well as stripers, plus those big bluefish.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice report.

Root beer is a favorite color of specks in FL too:

P1010259 (2).jpg
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I think specks are going to outnumber stripers this year in our Southern Maryland waters. Size is up from last year so far. Give it another year and 20’s should be around.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            I think specks are going to outnumber stripers this year in our Southern Maryland waters. Size is up from last year so far. Give it another year and 20’s should be around.
            Been catching more since the Breton Bay report? Now I'm very interested. I caught a few in the lower Potomac last fall (including one keeper) but I haven't targeted them yet this year because I didn't figure they'd be around in numbers yet.

Comment

I’ve only gotten out once since then, however Ron got a nice speck in the St Mary’s River. It won’t be long before they are here in decent numbers. The western shore will never have as many as the eastern shore with all its grass flats, but its a heck of a lot easier for us to fish on this side.
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                ...The western shore will never have as many as the eastern shore with all its grass flats, but its a heck of a lot easier for us to fish on this side.
                And a lot closer than FL and TX!
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Nice report.

Pumpkinseed Gulp tears em up as well.
                  "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                  Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                    Late report. I made a quick trip for a couple hours after work this past Friday afternoon. I didn't fish very hard, or cover much water, but I was happy to catch as many specks as I did stripers. Granted they weren't very big, but a half-dozen 15" - 16.5" specks are always a good thing. They all went for the dark color (rootbeer) this trip too. No fish on the light colors.

They sure are pretty fish. I just wish they were all 10" bigger

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25123[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25124[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25125[/ATTACH]
                    ... So did you catch any of those Bull Reds running back over here? Also seen a couple of trout over 6lbs caught last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      The colors of my speckled trout rainbow Bottom right was the color du jour. It's was a new pack I had recently purchased and it actually has a little more red in it then other colors I consider rootbeer. So maybe it was more cherry coke then rootbeer
                      DSCF1976.jpg
                      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy View Post
                        ... So did you catch any of those Bull Reds running back over here? Also seen a couple of trout over 6lbs caught last weekend.
                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                        I wish, but no. Like I said, I didn't have the chance to stray very far from where I put over. And since I basically missed out on my opportunities earlier this spring to get some bulls on the ESVA, I sure could have used one that day, lol! I miss their screaming runs
                        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
                          I wish, but no. Like I said, I didn't have the chance to stray very far from where I put over. And since I basically missed out on my opportunities earlier this spring to get some bulls on the ESVA, I sure could have used one that day, lol! I miss their screaming runs
                          Don't worry buddy. I caught a few in your honor

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                            Don't worry buddy. I caught a few in your honor
                            It was very thoughtful of you to do that
                            Brian

Comment

I'll just add a report to the thread instead of starting a new one.

I bailed out of work today a couple hours early to try again since I knew it would probably be my only opportunity to fish for next couple days. I had a good tide with a late afternoon high, but fishing wasn't quite so easy because the commercial crab scrappers had caused a lot of floating grass to be drifting around. Clearing fouled lines was a constant chore whether casting or trolling.

I did get into a few fish though despite the floating grass. I got a handful of 18" and smaller stripers, a couple 15 - 16" specks again, and finally found a little better speck at 21". It was exciting to finally get a somewhat bigger speck thrashing on top next to the boat this year!

DSCF1987.jpgDSCF1995.jpg
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X