Patuxent river at Benedict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patuxent river at Benedict

Got an early start this morning launched at 5:30 at the Route 231 bridge...water was calm with full high tide...great free launch, port-a-potties, two concrete ramps, lots of parking...I was fishing in just fifteen minutes in the mouth of Indian Creek off Golden Beach...the tide began moving about 6:30 and the first blue catfish was on the line...since the catfish have taken over the bay, figured why get frustrated, so I rigged up for them...the bite was steady, with a fish about every thirty minutes...most of the fish were above my keeper size but I managed two decent keepers for supper...

IMG_0563.jpgIMG_0564.jpgIMG_0566.jpgIMG_0568.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-05-2019, 10:11 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Sounds like a fun trip. That is a really nice launch there, and not too far of a drive for those of us in the Baltimore area. My wife and I had similar success out of Bushwood a few weeks ago. We ended up bringing 6 in the 20-25 inch range home to eat. Nowhere around me had fresh bunker, so I ended catching on chicken breast and livers. I don't target catfish too often, but that will likely change this year.
    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
      Sounds like a fun trip. That is a really nice standing desk chairs and launch there, and not too far of a drive for those of us in the Baltimore area. My wife and I had similar success out of Bushwood a few weeks ago. We ended up bringing 6 in the 20-25 inch range home to eat. Nowhere around me had fresh bunker, so I ended catching on chicken breast and livers. I don't target catfish too often, but that will likely change this year.
      This place sounds like heaven. I hope I'll get to visit this Summer. I'll make a point of it, in fact.
      Last edited by Kosinski; 12-01-2023, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Has anyone tried using clams for the catfish? I’ve heard they work for perch too? Considering taking one of my little ones out to cash in on the fun. Benedict may be my launch point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got out last Thursday at Cedarhaven. It's north of the 231 bridge. Finally used my cart and got the yak in. Sort of a pain, since I take too much gear. I wanted to check the area with the FF....never found anything deeper than 14 feet, but it was packed with bait fish schools. I kept 5 and threw 3 back. One was a hideous looking thing, only a foot long, but all mouth. The head was nearly as wide as it was long...when I got back to shore, the one fisherman was doing just as well...he was throwing them back too. Even though it's more effort, I like the yak...when they hit and spin it around...it's awesome. I was using cubed chicken breast soaked in garlic and strawberry Kool aid. Ended up making some catfish chowder in the slow cooker. I was pretty impressed with it. Not overly strong, which I was worried about with catfish. I ate two large bowls and vacuum sealed 3 other portion...and have enough filets left for a few more meals.

IMG_20191107_122000~2.jpg
          IMG_20191115_103918.jpg
          Hobie Outback
          Stand Up Paddle Board
          Pelican 100

Comment

They are thick around Benedict...lots of channel catfish and some big blue cats...Crab was the bait of choice...they hit it like gangbusters...shrimp works too- especially if you dab a smear of blue crab gel scent on it...and cut bait using alewife is killer...as long as the water is moving, they are biting...and the bank fishing here is productive...this might be my winter catfish spot as I have put the kayak up until spring rainbow trout and catfish season kicks off...
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 11-17-2019, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Nice catches, Ron.

Do you, or does anyone on the forum know, if blue cats are found in the mid and upper Bay?

I've caught one blue and that was at Mattawoman. The only catfish I've ever caught in my area of the Chesapeake are channel cats.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Don’t know the answer for sure...but can’t see any reason why the blue catfish would not be in the upper bay...as Northern Snakeheads should be also be in the upper tributaries above Baltimore..

Comment

Yes. Snakeheads have definitely made the trip north.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by clm View Post
                    IlOne was a hideous looking thing, only a foot long, but all mouth. The head was nearly as wide as it was long.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25785[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]25786[/ATTACH]
                    So that was most likely a white catfish, the only true native catfish in the bay tributaries. I’ve caught quite a few down there. Their mouths look like they’re too large for their bodies. As to Mark’s question, I have heard reports of blue catfish in the upper bay, particularly the Susquehanna. I remember seeing a report somewhere of one in the Patapsco as well.
                    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

I should have taken a picture of it. It looked a little freakish. I will be back there though. I will get one for sure if I catch another.
                      Hobie Outback
                      Stand Up Paddle Board
                      Pelican 100

Comment

Agree with rugbyfish. Almost certainly a white cat. When I was younger we caught lots of them in the Patuxent along with channel cats. The blue cats were not there back then. Talking about the 1960's. I did not myself catch a blue cat in the Patuxent until the early 2000's.

Comment

So Bill Connelly and I hit Benedict this morning...got a late start because of miscommunications between us...but we finally got out at 11:30 and it took us a while to locate the fish...But we both caught nice 24 inch “eaters” for the table...the tide tailed off and so did the bite..headed home at 1:30...got the filets soaking in salt brine for a couple of hours before a couple of rinses and then fried catfish, cole slaw, hush puppies and french fries...

Comment

Glad you guys found some for the table. I was torn between flying my RC airplanes or fishing....flying won..I still have 3 bags of cats from the last trip there...Did you stay close to the launch or have to make a long trek?
                            Hobie Outback
                            Stand Up Paddle Board
                            Pelican 100

Comment

We fished a few hundred yards above the bridge near Craney Creek...moved three times before we got into them...46.3 to 45.6 degree water...fished 14.7 to 9 feet of water...used cut menhaden on Fishfinder rig- Bill used one rod with a cork setup...not my thing...although later in the year when the crabs are stealing bait it might be...
                              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 02-04-2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X