Weems weekly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems weekly

I hit Weems Creek today from 9:15-11:15.
    The tide was extremely high, to the point that the rip rap to the right of the Tucker Street launch was covered with water. The matted weeds from last week did not quite make it to the surface. It started outgoing during my time there, by 11:15 the rocks were exposed. It was difficult skipping the spinner jigs under most of the docks, because there just wasn't much clearance.

The water was stained with 18"-24" of visibility.

Just as I launched, the wind started kicking up from the West at 10-15+ mph, (fishing causes wind!) which in a high sided canoe is much more problematic than with a kayak.
    With about 60% of my weight behind the mid point of the canoe, the bow is up and I found myself riding a 16 foot long weather vane. Combine that with a flat bottom and no keel, and the boat was all over the place. I spent a lot of time trying to keep the boat in position, should've brought my anchor. I knocked off early, it just wasn't coming together for me today, between fighting the wind, and not catching many fish.

I ended up catching only 6 perch in the time I was out. Two came out of regular ares that I have confidence in to produce fish. One came off of a random rip rapped shoreline, but the nearest thing I found to a pattern was the confluence of an outside weed line and the edge of a dock in 6 feet of water. Three fish off of that.

So maybe the summer time dock pattern is beginning to shape up.

I spoke with a younger guy in a Hobie, who is not a Snaggedline member (imagine that, a twenty-something who doesn't like social media), and he told me he caught a couple of perch and a 25" catfish.
    Last edited by bignose; 06-05-2019, 03:32 PM.

Stu,

Thanks for the update. Each report is a little better but I think the perch are still lagging in their arrival. I like it best when we catch 6 on consecutive casts!

I prefer fishing Weems when the water is high. I think the high water draws the fish into the structure. I didn't fish today but I crossed Magothy Bridge and noticed very high water there too.

Your post, although unintended, is a good argument for fishing from a low rise kayak as opposed to a tilted canoe when it's windy...and not forgetting your anchor. The weather vane analogy was perfect.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The wind was not predicted to be up, this morning.
      The big flag at Fitzgerald Auto was blowing "straight down the pole" as I drove on Route 50, so go figure. Like I said, fishing causes wind- a scientific fact that I have been proving for a lifetime of fishing.

I was using my light 50 ah battery and my 30 lb. thrust motor. My heavier battery ( 60+ pounds and 109 ah) and 55 lb. thrust motor balance the canoe out better. I was afraid of draining the battery running the motor as much as I had to, today.
      I need a higher seat, like the "lawn chair " style seen on the Nu-Canoe, or the Bonafide.....the little Native you have is too low for me, I'd need a derrick to get out of it after a long fishing day, Lol.

You're right about the perch running late this year up in the creeks.
      And all I hear about the fishing out on the Bay is a dearth of Rock and an abundance of Catfish. I spoke with a guy launching his center console this morning and he thinks that it may be time for a moratorium or a shut down of the trophy season to save the big spawners.
      Last edited by bignose; 06-05-2019, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Stu, let me know if you fish next Wednesday, would like to join you.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
          And all I hear about the fishing out on the Bay is a dearth of Rock and an abundance of Catfish. I spoke with a guy launching his center console this morning and he thinks that it may be time for a moratorium or a shut down of the trophy season to save the big spawners.
          I've wondered for years why MD ever thought it was a good idea even in times of plenty to pursue the spawners. It seems to me that such a strategy illustrates the sad lesson of the tale about killing the goose that lays the golden eggs. But the trophy season is a topic for another thread...
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Comment

Seems as good a place as any to add my report from today. Launched out of Tucker St. this morning and wound up catching about 25 perch and a half dozen or so baby rock. I was fishing a 1/4 oz. spinner and a tandem jig with a 1/4 oz. on the bottom and 1/16 oz. a little ways up. Most of the action seemed to be in the 6-7' range, but I caught some shallower as well. I think they wanted the jig more than the spinner but the wind made it difficult to get a light jig down very deep as my kayak was blowing away from the structure, so the spinner was easier to work. The highlight of the morning was this 12.5 incher. Out of curiosity I checker her stomach contents and there was about a dozen mud crabs. Definitely not the hot and heavy summer action yet, but there are perch to be had.
            perch2.jpg20190609_123230.jpg20190609_115144.jpg
            Last edited by Crotalus; 06-10-2019, 05:56 AM.
            Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Where is a good launch spot to get my kayak into Weems Creek? I am going to try and get out this week to fish.

Comment

The Tucker St. boat ramp is the way to access Weems. You can also launch at Jonas Green Park across the 450 bridge from the Naval Academy, but crossing the river (to get to Weems) in times of heavy boat traffic is not recommended. But all the docks on that side of the Severn hold perch as well and it puts you on the main stem if you want to target rockfish, as well. Both launches are worth checking out at some point.
                Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Just a quick note to those new to Weems access at Tucker Street. The ramp is not a county owned public ramp. It is managed by the city of Annapolis. It's also in a residential area and the only parking is on the street and much of that is directly in front of houses. There are signs that prohibit parking on one side of the street. Common sense dictates that you don't block driveways and if you launch early you're respectfully quiet. The homeowners have been friendly and very tolerant of our traffic and we'd like to keep it that way.

Thank you,
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Catching a 12 1/2 inch White Perch is a big perch...anytime, any where...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                      Just a quick note to those new to Weems access at Tucker Street. The ramp is not a county owned public ramp. It is managed by the city of Annapolis. It's also in a residential area and the only parking is on the street and much of that is directly in front of houses. There are signs that prohibit parking on one side of the street. Common sense dictates that you don't block driveways and if you launch early you're respectfully quiet. The homeowners have been friendly and very tolerant of our traffic and we'd like to keep it that way.

Thank you,
                      Good words of wisdom Mark. I always try to keep the amount of noise down when launching where there are any residential homes. I would hate that repeated loud noise would ruin a launch spot for the rest of us.
                      MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                      2016 Hobie Outback LE
                      Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                      https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Originally posted by Crotalus View Post
                        The Tucker St. boat ramp is the way to access Weems. You can also launch at Jonas Green Park across the 450 bridge from the Naval Academy, but crossing the river (to get to Weems) in times of heavy boat traffic is not recommended. But all the docks on that side of the Severn hold perch as well and it puts you on the main stem if you want to target rockfish, as well. Both launches are worth checking out at some point.
                        Thanks for the info. I live right across the bridge from Jonas green park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X