Tackle Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tackle Box

I finallt got my house hold stuff from my move up here from Florida. My outback made it safely so now I'm ready to hit the water. I need to update my tackle box so what jigs, lures, bait would you guys recommend I stock up on to target the local table fare. I live in Annapolis walking distance to the Severn River but I am willing to branch out and travel. Hopefully in the next week or so I can get out with some of you guys. Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Moved up from Florida in November. Seeing that kayak come off the TMO truck was the best! I live in Laurel so not too far from you. Still trying to figure them out up here. It definitely is NOT Florida! Gotta work for it. I’d love to provide more but I’m still learning myself... that tidal Potomac is a new ball game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Semper Slime,
    Adam
    YouTube/IG: BigBoomBassin
    bigboombassin@gmail.com
    2019 Hobie ProAngler 12
    USMC

Comment

I know man I literally stood at the door until they brought it off the truck and of course I was the last thing. I may hit the severn this week weather permitting to make sure it didn't get dinged up

Comment

You on Instagram? Look me up and maybe we can link up. I’m assuming you are at Meade?

Semper Slime,
        Adam
        YouTube/IG: BigBoomBassin
        bigboombassin@gmail.com
        2019 Hobie ProAngler 12
        USMC

Comment

Where at on the Severn? I’m in Sherwood Forest.

Tackle wise there is so much to say, it is a conversation best had in person with someone way more experienced then I. Local shops such as Anglers, and All tackle are your best friends. I am sure I’ll see you around on the river this summer.
          Annapolis
          2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
          Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Originally posted by Str8 Yakkin View Post
            I finallt got my house hold stuff from my move up here from Florida. My outback made it safely so now I'm ready to hit the water. I need to update my tackle box so what jigs, lures, bait would you guys recommend I stock up on to target the local table fare. I live in Annapolis walking distance to the Severn River but I am willing to branch out and travel. Hopefully in the next week or so I can get out with some of you guys. Thanks for all the tips and advice.
            If you're looking to get into the striper/rockfish game, a nice place to start is JigtheBay.com, run by a SnaggedLine member, Matt. The lures on that site are mostly made by local companies and/or people, and are proven fish-catchers in the bay. He's got trolling, topwater, jigging, and casting stuff. It's my one stop shop for stocking up for striper.

For white perch, a bignose spinner or a perch pounder will put fish on the table quickly. If you're looking to join the snakhead craze, get some hollow-body frogs, buzzbaits, and chatterbaits. There's also plenty of bass-fishing in the area. The tidal creeks provide some incredible fishing for a variety of species, so look into some launches nearby. Where you're positioned in Annapolis you're basically dead center for an abundance of fish around here. If you're looking for new launches or ways to hit new water, here's a great website- https://maryland.maps.arcgis.com/app...3a4e3f8c1def94

I'd also recommend attending a Meet and Greet. Carson is setting one up and the Southern Maryland fellas have one coming up in late July. Great way to meet some fishermen in the area and see what everyone is using. Welcome to the area and good luck!
            Matt
            Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
            2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
            10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Boom Bassin View Post
              You on Instagram? Look me up and maybe we can link up. I’m assuming you are at Meade?

Sounds good man. Im not at Meade I work for a unit in Annapolis

Comment

I live in Arundel Estates right over by the Naval Academy. I plan on hitting up some local tackle shops this weekend hopefully.
                Last edited by Str8 Yakkin; 06-06-2019, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by YakMan1731 View Post
                  If you're looking to get into the striper/rockfish game, a nice place to start is JigtheBay.com, run by a SnaggedLine member, Matt. The lures on that site are mostly made by local companies and/or people, and are proven fish-catchers in the bay. He's got trolling, topwater, jigging, and casting stuff. It's my one stop shop for stocking up for striper.

For white perch, a bignose spinner or a perch pounder will put fish on the table quickly. If you're looking to join the snakhead craze, get some hollow-body frogs, buzzbaits, and chatterbaits. There's also plenty of bass-fishing in the area. The tidal creeks provide some incredible fishing for a variety of species, so look into some launches nearby. Where you're positioned in Annapolis you're basically dead center for an abundance of fish around here. If you're looking for new launches or ways to hit new water, here's a great website- https://maryland.maps.arcgis.com/app...3a4e3f8c1def94

I'd also recommend attending a Meet and Greet. Carson is setting one up and the Southern Maryland fellas have one coming up in late July. Great way to meet some fishermen in the area and see what everyone is using. Welcome to the area and good luck!

Thanks for all of the info man. I will definitely check out that site. I am all about supporting local businesses and fisherman.

Comment

Originally posted by CarsonNash View Post
                    Where at on the Severn? I’m in Sherwood Forest.

Tackle wise there is so much to say, it is a conversation best had in person with someone way more experienced then I. Local shops such as Anglers, and All tackle are your best friends. I am sure I’ll see you around on the river this summer.

I live in Arundel Estates right over by the Naval Academy. I plan on hitting up some local tackle shops this weekend hopefully.

Comment

Just stick with it. Like Matt said, I am hosting a meet and greet and at the moment there are 9 of us coming. That will be the place to go for info, some of the most experienced members are attending. See my post in the main forum for more info. It’s Monday the 17th.

Annapolis
                      2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
                      Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Visit All tackle.
                        They are not far at all from you.
                        Jigging long “fluke” style baits is popular.
                        If you like catfish your in luck, they’ve increased dramatically, seemingly overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
                          Visit All tackle.
                          They are not far at all from you.
                          Jigging long “fluke” style baits is popular.
                          If you like catfish your in luck, they’ve increased dramatically, seemingly overnight.

Thanks for the info. I do enjoy cat fishing

Comment

Str8 Yakkin,

If you want to keep it simple for tidal kayak fishing, a 3 inch paddletail on a jig is a very versatile lure locally. Here's one on an 1/8 oz. jig:

P1030686 (2).jpg

That's the size I typically cast in shallow water. If I'm trolling I may use a 1/4 oz. to 1/2 oz. jig on the same paddletail.

I believe color is a matter of the angler's personal preference. I think it's the silhouette of the lure that matters the most to the fish. However some days, the fish may favor one color over the next. Trial and error and real time info from your fishing buddies will tell you if color matters. I typically use gold or white, but when the fish are thick, I've had them hit a variety of colors on the same outing.

The above sized paddletail, will catch perch:

P1030677.jpg

Stripers:

P1030851.jpg

And our newfound Bay favorites:

P1040150 (1).jpg

I wouldn't specifically target perch with the paddletail. The perch in the above photo was particularly aggressive. As others have already mentioned, a jig spinner of some kind is the choice for perch. I prefer 1/8 oz. jig spinners. You can either throw one with a plain jig and 2 to 3 inch Mr. Twister trailer:

P1040032.jpg

Or one with bucktail or feathers on the jig:

P1040103.jpg

Again, I believe the color you have confidence in the color to choose. I think it's the profile of the bait the noise of the spinner that attracts perch. But some days the fish may show a color preference.

Also, those same 1/8 oz. spinners will catch stripers and catfish lingering in perch habitat. That's always fun, especially since you'll be tossing those jig spinners on a lighter rod.

So, if you want to simplify your lure choices, you cannot go wrong with the above.

Good luck,
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I recommend buying very expensive hard body baits which are guaranteed to snag a Cow Nosed Ray (CNR) and thus lose your very expensive lure. Sure a cheap jig head will accomplish the same thing but what’s the fun in that story. A Yozuri 5” Crystal Minnow at $12 is a good starter CNR lure and you can go up from there.

All kidding aside, follow Marks advice. I can fit everything I take on my trips into a small Plano box and rarely say, boy I wish I had.....
                              Mike
                              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Working...
                              X