Tackle Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Str8 Yakkin View Post
    You guys rock man. Thanks for all the tips and tricks. I have fished the last 2 days behind my house and caught 3 perch and a small striper. Taking my kayak out one day this week before I start work next week. Anyone hitting weems creek this week? On another note. What kinds of snakes roam around here. I’ve been ran off by 2 today. Brown in color swimming up to the bank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brown water snakes. They swim well and will occasionally climb into your yak or low boat. They are harmless and usually leave as soon as they see the boat is occupied. Here is a link to some info so you can tell them apart. https://infinitespider.com/copper-he...-water-snakes/
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

They are common (also known as northern) water snakes (Nerodia sipedon). Brown water snakes are a different species that does not occur in Maryland.

Water snakes will bite and crap on you if you grab them, but it doesn't sound like that will be an issue for you. So no real need to pay them any mind. Keep going about your fishing.

(I happen to be a biologist/herpetologist and have quite the fondness for snakes)
      Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by Crotalus View Post
        They are common (also known as northern) water snakes (Nerodia sipedon). Brown water snakes are a different species that does not occur in Maryland.

Water snakes will bite and crap on you if you grab them, but it doesn't sound like that will be an issue for you. So no real need to pay them any mind. Keep going about your fishing.

(I happen to be a biologist/herpetologist and have quite the fondness for snakes)
        But, but - they are brown and they swim in the water.
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by Crotalus View Post

Outstanding lol. Yea me and Mr No Shoulders have no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
            But, but - they are brown and they swim in the water.
            Haha. Yeah, that's why scientific names were invented. In theory, it removes any confusion (but taxonomists change the names all the time).
            Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
            X