1st trip out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st trip out

So today I hit weems creek around 1400. Wind was pretty light and the paddle from where I live wasn’t bad. Taking all the advice I got from you guys on here I had a good day. Caught over 30 perch and 4-5 small stripers. I hit all the brush and downed tree areas and they all held fish. One spot I caught 8 perch back to back. Fished for a few hours then headed home. Other than getting pushed up on the rocks by some dumba$$ flying through the channel I really enjoyed myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet!

Those are some nice perch.

Always need to keep an eye out for boaters. Operate on the assumption they they are actively trying to hit you, helps to give a new perspective on PWC safety.

Stay safe.
    Annapolis
    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
    Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Originally posted by CarsonNash View Post
      Sweet!

Those are some nice perch.

Always need to keep an eye out for boaters. Operate on the assumption they they are actively trying to hit you, helps to give a new perspective on PWC safety.

Stay safe.
      Yea I will definitely be doing that from now on. Most of the perch had some good size on them

Comment

Very nice.

That's the way perch fishing should be.

Congratulations!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Very nice.

That's the way perch fishing should be.

Congratulations!
          Thanks man. You guys tips were spot on. One question I do have is when using the spinners do you tie it directly to your line or use a swipe or something to keep it from getting wrapped in the line

Comment

Originally posted by Str8 Yakkin View Post
            Thanks man. You guys tips were spot on. One question I do have is when using the spinners do you tie it directly to your line or use a swipe or something to keep it from getting wrapped in the line

I use braided line to which I attach a couple of feet of mono leader. I tie my perch lures directly to my mono leader. I attach the leader to the braid with either a double surgeon's knot or a double uni knot.

My jig spinners have safety pin style arms for the blades. I tie a clinch knot tight to the spinner arm through the hole where the arm bends. You can see the knot here:

P1040107 (2).jpg

If I am fishing a plain jig with a Mr. Twister or a paddletail trailer, I tie a loop knot to the jig to give the lure freer movement.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              I use braided line to which I attach a couple of feet of mono leader. I tie my perch lures directly to my mono leader. I attach the leader to the braid with either a double surgeon's knot or a double uni knot.

My jig spinners have safety pin style arms for the blades. I tie a clinch knot tight to the spinner arm through the hole where the arm bends. If I am fishing a plain jig with a Mr. Twister or a paddletail trailer, I tie a loop knot to the jig to give the lure freer movement.
              Thanks man.

Comment

I use spinners similar to Mark, the brand is Johnson Original Beetle Spin, they sell them at Bass Pro. Best value out there, $1.59 including 3 extra trailers/grubs.
                2015 Hobie Revolution 13
                2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
                  I use spinners similar to Mark, the brand is Johnson Original Beetle Spin, they sell them at Bass Pro. Best value out there, $1.59 including 3 extra trailers/grubs.
                  Yea that’s what I was using today.

Comment

Mark and Belair know their stuff. Not too much to add. I will give one tip though. I use a rooster tail combined with a beetle spin. Take the beetle spin and take off whatever jig or soft plastic and loop the rooster tail on that. It provides more flash in the murky water, more vibration, and most importantly more weight which allows you to cast the lure a lot further so you can cover more ground without repositioning.
                    Native Titan Propel 12
                    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
                    Mercury 6hp
                    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
                    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Originally posted by CHOC View Post
                      Mark and Belair know their stuff. Not too much to add. I will give one tip though. I use a rooster tail combined with a beetle spin. Take the beetle spin and take off whatever jig or soft plastic and loop the rooster tail on that. It provides more flash in the murky water, more vibration, and most importantly more weight which allows you to cast the lure a lot further so you can cover more ground without repositioning.
                      Thanks for the tip. I’ll give it a try

Comment

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
                        I tend to fish local made spinnerbaits, but I have a few beetle spins. The true best value for those is at Walmart, same thing that you get at BPS but for 89 cents.
                        Annapolis
                        2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
                        Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Glad that you had a good day!

Comment

Nice. You're either better than the rest of us, or the fish are really starting to stack up in their summer haunts (or both). I hope it's the latter. Where did you put it if you paddled from where you live? College Creek?
                            Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                              Glad that you had a good day!
                              Thanks man. Thanks for your tips too

Comment

Working...
                              X