Clark’s Landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clark’s Landing

Pat (yakscientist) and I fished the morning...after a rocky start for Pat, we finally hooked up on the water...it was breezy but we stayed inside the creeks...had lots and lots of company (Saturday’s in the summer are like that) school Stripers cooperated and tailor blues reminded me that Bass Assassins are not ZMan Diesel minnows..the white perch were fairly small 9-10 inch fish...back in a Cove I picked up a nice fish, a 20 1/2 Striper on a 1/4 oz jighead and a Pearl/chartreuse Bass Assassin...I took the pledge not to keep any Stripers this year due to the dwindling numbers of fish...so all were released..low tide killed the bite so I headed back home...Pat stayed out on the water...i’ll Let him fill in the blanks...teaser...he caught a nice fish..

I apologize for my lack of writing skills in the original post...seems like my energy and brain power is limited nowadays...after five hours on the water my 73 year old body let’s me down and my abilities head south...everyday on the water is a wonderful gift we should cherish...there are only so many of those in each of our lifetimes and there are no guarantee we will see another...the water was 73.7 degrees yesterday and most of our catches were in open deeper waters due to crabbers hogging all the points and prime fishing spots with crab trot lines...my honey holes were covered up...tried to fish one and got hung up in the crab line...and the crabbers are aggressive guarding these points..like they own that water...so Pat and I had additional challenges yesterday...we had to go to plan C...strategy Z...and the boat traffic...and the crowded free ramp...and parking and...well, you get the picture...weekends are not my favorite time to fish...the SMOG crew tries to fish mostly during week days, usually very, very early in the mornings...like the break of dawn...it gives us an edge that weekend anglers don’t get...don’t get me wrong, crabbers and commercial watermen are up before daylight...crab pots are obstacle we deal with until cold weather...but the recreational crabbers and weekend pleasure cruisers, jet ski jockeys and fair weather sailors are most numerous on weekends and national holidays...it is good to meet up with one of our Snaggedline Forum kayaker and finally put a face to the handle...and it is even better when he catches a nice fish!

IMG_0587.jpgIMG_0588.jpg
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-16-2019, 07:59 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    ...everyday on the water is a wonderful gift we should cherish...
    I certainly do!

Nice post.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing- Babylonian proverb

Comment

It is always a good time fishing with great company. That is why, for those who know me, I always take pictures of my outings. Not really for posting, but for reliving the memories when I have trouble remembering.
        MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
        2016 Hobie Outback LE
        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Thanks for posting Ron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          -manny

Hobie Outback
          Wilderness Systems 130T
          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Thank you for fishing with me Ron! It was certainly a better fishing trip than the usual striper trips I have taken over the past few months. Caught about 12 stripers trolling, another couple casting the perch pounder, and even tripled up while trolling which is always exciting. Biggest fish was a 24" striper that fought like a 30"+ fish, mean as hell, and it had a huge lesion near its tail so maybe that's why. The perch were 8-9" so a bit smaller than what I like to keep, so they were released as well. Didn't catch any of those blues but I think a few of them hit a spoon I was trolling.

Comment

Pat...wait until you get a Redfish of the same size on...it could pull that Striper backwards...nothing like a 25 inch redfish in 2 FOW on a 2500 Stradic CI-4(+) on a 7’St. Croix mojo Inshore medium light rod with ten pound test braid...screaming drag, long runs, very powerful pound for pound...I am hoping they return this year...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I'd like to catch a 30" redfish and a 30" bluefish back to back. I feel like the blues put on more of a show with lots of tail walks and breaches, but the reds might make longer/stronger runs.

Comment

Working...
                X