Back in the saddle, St. Jerome's & Piney Point, 9/19-9/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the saddle, St. Jerome's & Piney Point, 9/19-9/21

After 3+ weeks of revising and revising, I finally handed my dissertation to my committee on the 19th. Now, I just have to wait until my defense when they'll rip me a new one. To celebrate handing it off, I spent the past couple days catching up on lost time.

On Monday, I launched at Buzz's Marina around 3pm and fished until 8, which was from the end of ebb to almost the end of flood. Water temperature was 68*, and salinity was 9, which was surprisingly low.

Mike said that they caught a bunch of little specks near the creek mouth a few days before, so I spent a good bit of time looking for bigger ones. I picked up 2 around 10" on a 3" chartreuse Gulp grub on a 1/4oz head (I think). They were released boatside. I jigged the snot out of the creek mouth looking for flounder and stripers with a Gulp jerk shad on a Spro bucktail. There were lots of big marks on the fish finder, and I missed a couple good hits but didn't connect with anything. Mike and Christy showed up in their skiff, and Mike immediately caught a little striper not far from where I had been drifting. Go figure. Christy later hooked into a 18-20" speck that Mike "released" boatside. She was fired up about that.

I headed toward Point No Point looking for some topwater action. I picked up a couple small blues on a needlefish jig, but no stripers on topwater or a Bomber minnow. I headed back in when the mosquitoes found me. No decent pictures that day.

I caught up on yardwork for most of Tuesday. I swung by Buzz's to drop something off for Mike, and Christy said he was out fishing. I thought about launching my yak since I had it with me but decided to have dinner with my wife instead. Later, I heard Mike had one of his best days ever with stripers up to 30" and big blues, too. Oh well.

Tuesday evening, I launched at Piney Point after dinner around 6pm and fished until 8pm, which was just before max ebb to just after. Water temperature was 72*, and salinity was 10--it was funny that it was saltier than in the Bay.

I jigged under the bridge with the needlefish jig and picked up a couple small blues. I trolled a Bomber minnow under the bridge to my topwater spot and picked up a barely legal striper. I was stoked because it was only the 2nd or 3rd legal striper I caught all year. I let it go since it was close to the minimum size. I didn't have any luck at my usual spot, but I did have a big blow up closer to the bridge. The fish missed the plug by a good bit, I managed not to jerk the popper away, but the fish didn't come back. The only pic was of the sunset:

Dad joined me on Wednesday, but we got a late start because Rt 234 is washed out at Allen's Fresh, so he had to detour. We went back to Piney Point, and launched at around 1pm and fished until a bit after 3, which was just before and just after max ebb. We started by jigging the needlefish jigs under the bridge. I hooked up with an 18" striper on one of the first drifts. It was close to the minimum and a bit skinny, so I let it go. It fought hard, though. A little bit later, I landed a 24-incher, which I think might be the biggest striper I've ever jigged up:

I thought I'd share a pic with a facial gesture other than my usual deadpan. I was mid-conversation with Dad.

I picked up a couple small bluefish, and Dad missed some bites. The current died and the wind picked up, so we went for a quick paddle up the creek before it started to rain:

There were a lot of eagles around, which I hadn't noticed before. Very cool.

I went back to Piney Point after dinner and started jigging under the bridge. I picked up another 18-incher that was completely covered in sores, which is the first time I've seen that there. Right around sunset, I landed a 22-inch striper on a Stillwater Smack-it at the usual spot. That's only the second legal fish I've landed on topwater this year. Hopefully, things are finally getting back to normal.

Man, I look like the grim reaper in that pic. My hat is my hood, and my rod is my scythe. I had a few more swirls from smaller fish before the rain really picked up and I called it night.

The currents at by St. Jerome's and Piney Point have been really weak the past few days. I think the action could've been even better with more water moving. Anyhow, I'm hoping I can get back to fishing at least once a week now...
    Last edited by ictalurus; 09-22-2011, 11:50 AM.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Nice going! Congrats on finishing your dissertation as well
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

That's what i like to see. Great job on the keepers and thanks for the reports.

What do the needlefish jigs look like. I have never heard of them before.

Comment

Thanks, Metro. It's a real load off...

Mike--http://www.boonebait.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=452_455_502

I've been using the 3/4oz in in the chrome abalone and blue/chrome abalone. They're a good length and weight for jigging for white perch around dock, which is why I bought it, but I've been catching stripers and blues on them, too. I bought them as an alternative to Kastmasters, which are really expensive now. I got the first one from the Tacklebox, then I picked up a bunch of needlefish on eBay for a song. The finish doesn't last as long as the Kastmasters, but they're half the price.
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Looks like you had an enjoyable couple of days. I've got a couple of those needlefish jigs but haven't used them. Do you fish them with the big treble they come with or replace with a single hook?

Comment

Congratulations on both the dissertation and the fishing. I'm glad you had the time to fish and you put it to good use.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Congrats on finishing your dissertation Bill. I was wondering why your fishing adventures on the water have been silent. If must have been cool catching those two keeper rocks. I'll be at TKAA this weekend, I will try to hook up with you sometime afterwards.....

Comment

Nice job on those fish, Bill. And fishing with dad. Nothing better than that!

Congrats on getting your dissertation done. I'm sure that kept you off the water some. I'm equally sure the committee will be duly impressed!

I'm with some of the gang going to the TKAA tourney this weekend. Hope to see you soon!

Comment

Thanks for the link those jigs look very nice. "Off to ebay I go"

Comment

WTG Bill, and congrats!!
                    GB

Comment

very nice Bill, good to break the striper slump

Comment

Nice big fella! Too bad your time is loosening up when mine is getting tight....maybe we can hit a topwater spot some night. Won't be this weekend though. Off to Salisbury half marathon (no, i'm not running...it's the girls. I'm chauffeur and masseuse).
                        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks for the well wishes, gents. I wish I could fish the tournament this weekend, especially since I missed the one at the Bay Bridge. However, it's my wife's grandmother's 90th birthday, and you don't get to go to many of those parties. I'm looking forward to catching up with you guys.
                          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Work on dissertation, then go fish. Ahhh... that's the secret to catchin' fish. Good job!
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                            X