Over the Bay Bridge Sunday Morning 6/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over the Bay Bridge Sunday Morning 6/23

On my way to Crab Alley Bay, going over the bridge around 7 AM, I saw something that I could hardly believe. I have never fished near the Bay Bridge, either with a charter or in my kayak. But like most of you, I read a lot of fishing reports - Anglers, Fishtalk, etc. The recurring message over the last few weeks was "fish holding at the sewer pipe." While driving over the bridge, there had to have been 75 boats down there, some were literally on top of one another, 10 or 15 years away from the boat fishing next to them. That would not be my idea of fun. And now that I look at the map, it was maybe a combination of the sewer pipe and the pilings, but they were definitely concentrated on the west bound span.

Also, I noticed a blue minivan with a yellow Hobie on the roof, curious if it was a snaggedliner, and if you were headed out to fish the bridge since you took the very first exit.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
    On my way to Crab Alley Bay, going over the bridge around 7 AM, I saw something that I could hardly believe. I have never fished near the Bay Bridge, either with a charter or in my kayak. But like most of you, I read a lot of fishing reports - Anglers, Fishtalk, etc. The recurring message over the last few weeks was "fish holding at the sewer pipe." While driving over the bridge, there had to have been 75 boats down there, some were literally on top of one another, 10 or 15 years away from the boat fishing next to them. That would not be my idea of fun. And now that I look at the map, it was maybe a combination of the sewer pipe and the pilings, but they were definitely concentrated on the west bound span.

Also, I noticed a blue minivan with a yellow Hobie on the roof, curious if it was a snaggedliner, and if you were headed out to fish the bridge since you took the very first exit.
    I saw the same thing when I went over the bridge. That was a crazy seen over there at the Bay Bridge.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

Goody, was that you in the blue van?
      2015 Hobie Revolution 13
      2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Last year it was bloody pt, this year the bridge. Seems there’s just on large school that’s not spread out in the bay very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm heading up to the bridge and mouth of the Chester tomorrow. Hoping to avoid the crowds.
          Annapolis
          2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
          Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
            Goody, was that you in the blue van?
            No. I have a silver minivan.

Outback 2015
            Maui

Comment

It was the same way when I drove to St Michaels on June 15th. My wife couldn't believe how many boats were lined up on the Westbound side. I guess that goes to show how unusual the last couple of years have been.
              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

That crowd of boats on the eastern end of the bridge has been there for nearly a month. Finding stripers was so difficult for much of the spring that once a school was located, many anglers zeroed in on the area. I completely agree that it does not look like much fun to fish that way. But to each, his own.

I got a long slow look at those boats yesterday afternoon from the bridge. I had planned to launch from Shipping Creek ramp at 2:00 pm. When I go on weekdays, I can get there in 25-30 mins from my house. Yesterday I was in very slow traffic from half a mile west of Anglers until the far side of the bridge. The drive time was 75 mins. I expected to see heavy traffic returning from the beach on Sun afternoon, but did not anticipate the long backup going eastbound.
                John Veil
                Annapolis
                Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I noticed the same thing today. Our roads are maxed out so fast trips or day trips down the ocean may be a thing of the past pretty soon.
                  John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                  MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                  Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Working...
                  X