Piney point and Clark’s Landing, a tale of two cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney point and Clark’s Landing, a tale of two cities

On Wednesday myself, Ron and Doug Murph hit Piney Point under almost perfect conditions. Light breeze and brisk incoming current blowing under the bridge. Baitfish everywhere. Crickets everywhere else on the radio. After an hour of nothing at the bridge I headed off in one direction, Ron another, and Doug stubbornly stayed at the bridge. Between the 3 of us we managed a handful of perch and 2 stripers in 3+ hours of fishing.

Today Ron and I hit Clark’s at 5AM. The parking lot was already full of trot liners who invade Clark’s like vultures on a deer carcass. You can’t fish there on the weekend because of them. I headed off to a favorite spot and immediately had 2 dink’s. Ron hit my other spot and was reporting 16-18” fish, had 5 before I could blink. But fish move and things cooled off as far as big stripers. I put on 3” white Gulp and was killing 9” perch and mucho 9” stripers in the mix. Ron came over and started throwing a mini-me in Fire Tiger and was picking up 10 - 10 1/2 in perch fast and furious. Ended up with a nice stringer.

I picked up 2 15” stripers on the Gulp between the perch and dink’s. Gulp is like Bud Light at a beer bar, no one admits they drink it but it’s number one for a reason, you drink it at home when no ones watching. Soon I had a nice fish on my perch rod, pulling line and bending the rod in a beautiful arc. But it was staying deep, a dreaded sign of..... channel cat. I ended up catching 2 that went 3-4 pounds.

In the end we both agreed it was one of, if not our best day of the year. Maybe things are looking up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Piney point and Clark’s Landing, a tale of two cities

SMOG crew met up in the dusky dark this morning at Clark’s Landing only to find most of the parking was taken...big Mike had a spot, but new private property signs (towing enforced) lined the road...Gary (Yak 67) wasn’t feeling it, so he headed back up the highway...Mike and I put our kayaks in a few minutes after five...I headed to a point I caught fish a few days ago fishing with Yakscientist...I was casting and jigging the Bass Assassin along the bottom when the first Striper took the lure...a nice frisky 18 incher...huge pods of bait was rippling the water...all across the inlet...I worked the point throughly and about every fifth or so cast I would get a fish...they were down deep right along the edge of the transition from shallow to 12 FOW...the side scan clearly showed school after school of bait followed by bigger fish...I caught five 16-18 inch Stripers before the bite stopped...I pulled my perch rod out of the rod rack and put up the Bass Assassins...Mike was reporting a few perch mixed in with baby Stripers on Gulp, so I decided to join him fishing boat docks. I am throwing the UL Rebel crank bait in Fire tiger with the treble hooks replaced with #4 Owner in line single replacement hooks...my perch outfit is Shimano Stradic 2500 CI-4(+) loaded with 10# braid and 18 inches of 20# trilene XT mono leader on a St. Croix Mojo Inshore medium light rod...light, sensitive yet plenty of backbone if a bigger fish (a few years ago I caught a 25 inch redfish on the mini crankbait) takes the lure...the single hook is much stronger than the tiny trebles...and we started catching some nice eating size perch..lots of fish but I only kept the bigger 10 inch and bigger fish...each boat dock would produce two or three perch...all in all a pretty good day.

IMG_0610.jpg
    This is the one of the baitfish the fish are feeding on...baby menhaden.
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-28-2019, 02:50 PM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
    X