• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday outing on the Chesepeake Bay

https://youtu.be/aJRBo4Eynhs

Outback 2015
    Maui

Aw, come on man. Stop recycling Perch flicks from several years ago.

All kidding aside, you did good and must have had a fine time doing it. Hopefully they will come into the Severn in those kinds of numbers shortly.
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Been spotty, that’s for sure...had some great White Perch days and some lousy days...just not the steady, reliable days of the past years...hopefully the heat arrived to change the spotty patterns...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Goody illustrated an alternative perch pattern. He fished offshore in water I typically cross to get to the shallows where the perch have been hit or miss this year.

Congrats to him on a good outing and for sharing another way to catch them.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Goody,

Were you trolling with those beetle spins, or just casting and covering a lot of water?
          2015 Hobie Revolution 13
          2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I am finding plenty of smaller perch in the Severn creeks while casting a Bignose spinner. They typically range from 7" to 10". I look for shaded areas that have a sloping bottom from 1 to 4 ft deep. Often spots that look ideal to me do not yield any bites -- I just keep moving and looking until I find where they are. Because the shoreline spots close to my launch points seem to be heavily fished, I have been paddling longer distances to find creeks with less fishing pressure.

A shallow water spot I have visited 5 times recently in my boat is loaded with giant perch. My fishing partners and I have caught two dozen of them with nothing smaller than 10.5". Yesterday a young man on our crew caught a 12.5" (he was disappointed that he did not quite reach citation size). I have caught 13" and 13.5" perch on recent trips. I was throwing a 3/16-oz jighead with 12 Fathom Fat Sam mullet paddletail at that location looking for stripers. When the perch come to the surface they look huge -- more like largemouth bass than typical white perch.

I almost never keep fish, so they all went back in the water. This particular spot receives little fishing pressure, has moving water, and structure. It is not easy to get to and offers risks to propellers in order to maneuver into position. But it is one of the few spots I can get to where shallow water structure casting pays good dividends.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I've trolled beetle spins for perch successfully before. I had to keep my speed between 1.4 and 1.7mph and I trolled as closely as I could to jetties.
              Native Titan Propel 12
              Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
              Mercury 6hp
              Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
              Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

I've caught some white perch while trolling for stripers -- usually overachievers biting lures they couldn't possibly swallow. But I've never deliberately trolled for perch. That's what I found intriguing by Goody's method.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  I've caught some white perch while trolling for stripers -- usually overachievers biting lures they couldn't possibly swallow. But I've never deliberately trolled for perch. That's what I found intriguing by Goody's method.
                  In my book "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" I describe a perch-catching technique I called "ultralight tackle trolling". Here is the excerpt:

"On a hot summer day in 2011, I tried a technique I call ultralight tackle trolling (ULTT). I was casting to shorelines for perch without much success. I eventually got to a stretch of shoreline that always looks fishy, but which typically does not produce well using casted lures. I decided to troll very slowly (~1 mph) through this area with three ultralight rods using several different types of small lures. My normal paddling rate would have been much too fast. I had to use a paddling cadence of stroke/stroke/gliiiiiiiide, to keep the lures moving slowly. This cadence allowed the lures to move up gently in the water column during the stroke portion and to drop in the water column during the glide portion.

All three rods caught perch that day. All of the lures I used were small and had either a paddle tail or a spinner blade, or both. I made a bunch of passes along the same 75-yard stretch of shoreline and caught perch almost every time. Apparently, the fish in that region preferred a slow trolled lure to one that was cast out and retrieved. I stayed as close to the shore as I could but far enough out to avoid sunken tree branches."
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    In my book "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" I describe a perch-catching technique I called "ultralight tackle trolling". Here is the excerpt:

"On a hot summer day in 2011, I tried a technique I call ultralight tackle trolling (ULTT). I was casting to shorelines for perch without much success. I eventually got to a stretch of shoreline that always looks fishy, but which typically does not produce well using casted lures. I decided to troll very slowly (~1 mph) through this area with three ultralight rods using several different types of small lures. My normal paddling rate would have been much too fast. I had to use a paddling cadence of stroke/stroke/gliiiiiiiide, to keep the lures moving slowly. This cadence allowed the lures to move up gently in the water column during the stroke portion and to drop in the water column during the glide portion.

All three rods caught perch that day. All of the lures I used were small and had either a paddle tail or a spinner blade, or both. I made a bunch of passes along the same 75-yard stretch of shoreline and caught perch almost every time. Apparently, the fish in that region preferred a slow trolled lure to one that was cast out and retrieved. I stayed as close to the shore as I could but far enough out to avoid sunken tree branches."
                    John,

Stands to reason -- while casting a pause during the retrieve causes lures to drop in the water column and sometimes that fall entices a bite. I can see why your method worked.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by belairfishing View Post
                      Goody,

Were you trolling with those beetle spins, or just casting and covering a lot of water?
                      I tend to troll more but do both. I usually troll more and keep one in the water and occasionally cast ahead or to the side with the other until my arm gets tired at which point I troll both for awhile. You only need to cover water to find them. Perch tend to move around alot.

Outback 2015
                      Maui

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                        Aw, come on man. Stop recycling Perch flicks from several years ago.

All kidding aside, you did good and must have had a fine time doing it. Hopefully they will come into the Severn in those kinds of numbers shortly.
                        What! This is from last year. Lol.

Usually there are alot more than this. We actually had to work to find these guys and there weren't as plentiful as last year.

Outback 2015
                        Maui

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                          Been spotty, that’s for sure...had some great White Perch days and some lousy days...just not the steady, reliable days of the past years...hopefully the heat arrived to change the spotty patterns...
                          i hope the spotty patterns changes too.

Outback 2015
                          Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                            Goody illustrated an alternative perch pattern. He fished offshore in water I typically cross to get to the shallows where the perch have been hit or miss this year.

Congrats to him on a good outing and for sharing another way to catch them.
                            Thanks Mark.

Outback 2015
                            Maui

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                              I am finding plenty of smaller perch in the Severn creeks while casting a Bignose spinner. They typically range from 7" to 10". I look for shaded areas that have a sloping bottom from 1 to 4 ft deep. Often spots that look ideal to me do not yield any bites -- I just keep moving and looking until I find where they are. Because the shoreline spots close to my launch points seem to be heavily fished, I have been paddling longer distances to find creeks with less fishing pressure.

A shallow water spot I have visited 5 times recently in my boat is loaded with giant perch. My fishing partners and I have caught two dozen of them with nothing smaller than 10.5". Yesterday a young man on our crew caught a 12.5" (he was disappointed that he did not quite reach citation size). I have caught 13" and 13.5" perch on recent trips. I was throwing a 3/16-oz jighead with 12 Fathom Fat Sam mullet paddletail at that location looking for stripers. When the perch come to the surface they look huge -- more like largemouth bass than typical white perch.

I almost never keep fish, so they all went back in the water. This particular spot receives little fishing pressure, has moving water, and structure. It is not easy to get to and offers risks to propellers in order to maneuver into position. But it is one of the few spots I can get to where shallow water structure casting pays good dividends.
                              John - you hit the nail on the head. Look for shallow water structure and moving water. Kayakers also need to take advantage of areas where boats can't get to.

Outback 2015
                              Maui

Comment

Working...
                              X