Slow perchin', but 2 nice pickerel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow perchin', but 2 nice pickerel

I took my kayak into a mid-Severn cove this afternoon for 1.5 hours. I was throwing three different lures on ultralight rods. The rod with the safety pin style spinner caught a few perch. The rod with the Strike King micro-king spinnerbait took a few perch and a very nice pickerel. The third rod had a spinner arm with 3" white twister tail (the first time I have used this soft plastic in a while). It caught one perch and the 19" pickerel shown below.

I brought my measuring board along today. Unlike winter pickerel fishing where the fish are cold and don't flop around too much, the warm conditions kept this guy quite lively. I had to keep my hand on his body the whole time I was measuring him. You can imagine the fire drill -- grab actively flopping fish with one hand; with the other hand move the measuring board from the rear compartment to my lap. Get camera out, turn it on, and shoot the picture. Then return the pi$$ed off fish to the water.

Although the pictured fish was a nice summer time pickerel, the one I caught a few minutes later on the micro-king lure was definitely a few inches longer and it was fatter around. That fish did not want to give up. It swam back and forth near the kayak for several minutes. I grabbed the line just above the lure, and sadly, the fish lunged, breaking the line. This was the last of three micro-kings (1/16-oz) I bought a few weeks ago. They seem to be pickerel magnets. Last week I went looking for more of the micro-kings, but the store had only mini-kings (slightly larger and heavier at 1/8-oz). I threw a mini-king later in the day but managed just one small perch on it.

I have not had a good perch catching day since the heavy rains from Lee. I seem to always catch a few, but not like I did a month ago.
    Attached Files
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Great job on those pickerel. I used to use those mini spinner baits all the time on the upper Potomac for small mouths. I think bomber used to make a version similar back then 1/16 to 1/8 ounce. Great little baits on a UL rod.

Where did you launch from if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Awesome work, John. You've had the summer time pickerel dialed in this year. I guess their teeth don't fall out after all.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Found the perch in the mouth of the Severn. Will post a report later. No pickeral though.

Comment

Working...
        X