An exciting evening of perch fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An exciting evening of perch fishing

Yesterday was my first day of true summertime perch fishing. Worked the rocks along the shoreline by my house after dinner to see what I could catch. Between my dad and I, we caught probaby 8 perch, all were "eating size", even though they were released. 10 Minutes in, I hooked a channel catfish that I though was a snag. Pretty good size considering I caught it 10 feet from shore.
    IMG_20190707_201909.jpg
    IMG_20190707_201913.jpg

While all this was going on, a great blue heron was intently watching us catch all these fish. Every time I brought a perch out of the water, he took a step towards me.
    MVIMG_20190707_202538.jpg

So after catching my final perch, I tossed it onto the grass and sent the heron home with a meal. It was fascinating to watch that bird pickup the fish and carry it away.
    IMG_20190707_202944.jpg

This was not my first time feeding animals, as on a regular basis a white and orange cat follows me around as I fish the shoreline. Begging, and eventualy getting one of my perch.

All around, a pretty solid evening.
    Annapolis
    2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
    Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

You are fortunate to have water access so close to your home. Enjoy it! Perch are finally filling in to many of their summertime haunts. The presence of fat and strong catfish in the Severn will keep you on your toes.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I'm going to have to learn how to skin and filet catfish. I've avoided keeping them when I catch a decent eating size one for that reason - I guess no time like the present to learn.
      Native Slayer Propel 13' w/ Boonedox Rudder (Copperhead), Lowrance Hook2 5 Splitshot HDI

Comment

Good report Carson.

You definitely made a friend with that blue heron.

I'm testing the Severn tomorrow with some fly fishing friends as we look for perch. I hope you and your dad chased a few south on the river for us.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I don't know how to process catfish that well but one thing I learned early on is to not forget the belly meat-its like a third fillet!
          -Justin

Comment

Working...
          X