First Snakehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Snakehead

Third time trying for snakeheads was the charm! Here are a few of my observations as a beginner (keep in mind I have barely any bass/freshwater fishing experience):

Sight casting was really fun, but it was challenging to entice them. I found that they would mostly follow it briefly and give up or stare at it from underneath (perhaps in admiration ) after quickly chasing it. It was hard to produce any blow ups and I don't know if I did anything special that really contributed to those instances. I had a few today, where I think I may have pulled it away too soon, which could be a factor. Definitely looking forward to catching one on a top water frog.

IMG_3305.jpg
    The one I caught today (my first!) is pictured in the above photo. I positioned myself in a spot where I could cast to them with the frog, but the frog was unnoticed as it buzzed over them repeatedly. I used the only minnow I could find and put it on a float rig to cast it directly over the pair in the photo. It took a minute or two before the snakehead swallowed the free meal and it was an enjoyable fight. Ended up being 25" with great looking fillets.
    IMG_3307.jpgIMG_3306.jpg
    J

Congratulations! That sounds like a good time. I have to work deep in west virginia friday and wasnt sure how to
    incorporate fishing into the trip. You just answered that question, snakehead fishing! Thank you...Ive never fished for them, always wanted to.

Comment

Well done Jake. You should go with YakMan1731 (Matt), he knows where to find them and is getting good at catching them. He’s a friend I met through Pat, and a very determined fisherman.

Did you like the meat, and if so how did you cook it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
        Well done Jake. You should go with YakMan1731 (Matt), he knows where to find them and is getting good at catching them. He’s a friend I met through Pat, and a very determined fisherman.

Thanks John, much appreciated. I'm definitely dug in like a tick when it comes to targeting these things haha Jake congrats on the snake! Landing your first of any species after grinding it out is always the best feeling! I think Alan described snakehead fishing well- It feels more like hunting than fishing. If you want to target them again, I will be spending most of the next 5 weeks on both the eastern and western shores going for snakehead, and I'm always happy to have company.
        Matt
        Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
        2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
        10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Nice catch Jman.
          That water looks awfully shallow for your outback...how did you navigate through there?
          John B

Jackson Cuda 14 (Yellow Jacket)
          Hobie Outback (Papaya)
          Jackson Coosa (Forest Camo)

Comment

Remember my “first”...and second and finally one I was able to keep in the kayak and take home...escape artists...you never have a snakehead until it is dead in the cooler...good tasting meat...just never really caught on for me...fun to catch...and challenging during certain times when they are not actively feeding...congratulation’s and take as many as you can...DNR thanks you...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Amazingly fun fish to target. Addicting once you get one on the end of your line.

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post

I love seeing YakMan1731's snake catches. Probably one of the main inspirations to attempt to catch one. Have to talk about going out some time for them! I have one western spot, which may or may not be your spot too

The meat really surprised me. Nice, clean, firm, and white/translucent flesh with no fish odor whatsoever. We tried some of the sections near the tail, pan seared with an Old Bay butter baste and a Thai dish that steams the meat with a coconut milk fish sauce on top. We did it side-by-side with some sheepshead, which was more "fishy" and flaky. Saving some of the thicker pieces to throw on the grill soon.
                J

Comment

Sounds yum. I really like the texture, but the flavor is definitely lacking. Great fish for something like you described, with a good sauce. I discovered glazing them before grilling is a great way to add some flavor too, just make sure you season your grill throughly or it will stick like a sum b$@!h.

2015 Hobie Outback
                  2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Like Flounder, very mild...almost tasteless...people don’t like fish that taste fishy...strong flavored fish need smoking, brined, dried, etc. to make it palatable...King Salmon is normally brined and smoked...although I like fresh salmon, not everyone does...
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                    X