Collapsible crab traps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collapsible crab traps

What’s up ladies and gents. Question for the group. Have any of you used the collapsible crab traps? I bought 2 until I can get my trotline rig together. I took them out today on the Severn behind Arundel estates where I live, baited them with chicken backs and dropped them. Pedaled around and fished and came back to check them and no crabs. Did this a few times and called it a day. Any suggestions on using these type of traps or any recommendations for better traps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How deep were you setting them and how long did you leave them in?
    John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
    MK Endura Max 55 backup power
    Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
      How deep were you setting them and how long did you leave them in?
      I don’t have a fishfinder on my yak so I’m not sure about the depth. I left them for 30-45 min at a time

Comment

You really need to know the depth of the water. If you have to, rig up a weight with a marked line. You can find crabs from 2 feet to 10 feet most days. I would say in the morning, try between 4 and 6 feet in the morning. In the afternoon go out to 8 to 10 feet. Leave them alone for at least 45 minutes. Go off and fish for perch if you need something to do.

If you are crabbing in an area that has phragmites (reeds), try laying traps in front of the reeds in a couple of feet of water.

While it is a more expensive bait, bunker will usually bring more crabs than chicken. The only thing is you have to check your traps more often as the crabs can eat it up fast.
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
          You really need to know the depth of the water. If you have to, rig up a weight with a marked line. You can find crabs from 2 feet to 10 feet most days. I would say in the morning, try between 4 and 6 feet in the morning. In the afternoon go out to 8 to 10 feet. Leave them alone for at least 45 minutes. Go off and fish for perch if you need something to do.

If you are crabbing in an area that has phragmites (reeds), try laying traps in front of the reeds in a couple of feet of water.

While it is a more expensive bait, bunker will usually bring more crabs than chicken. The only thing is you have to check your traps more often as the crabs can eat it up fast.
          Thanks for the tips man. I will definitely put them to use.

Comment

use razor clams
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I did pretty well with a dozen collapsible traps on the eastern shore a few weeks ago. I was getting them in 8-10 feet of water. Crabbing has been slow on this side of the bridge lately, but it should improve.
              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                I did pretty well with a dozen collapsible traps on the eastern shore a few weeks ago. I was getting them in 8-10 feet of water. Crabbing has been slow on this side of the bridge lately, but it should improve.
                Nice. What were you baiting them with.

Comment

I was just using chicken necks. Razor clams work well, but they’re expensive. I’d like to try bunker one day, but chicken necks are about $1 a dozen, which is hard to beat. I’m thinking about crabbing again Sunday if the weather holds.
                  Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

I use two ring traps. When I go (not a lot) I use the most that the law will allow to make the crabbing go a little faster. Chicken or clam. I target 8 to 12 feet. with the amount of traps I run (when I do) a run takes about 45 minutes end to end. I try to get 24 crabs. sometimes it takes a couple of runs other days I put back 4 crabs after 6 hours and find solace in a fantastic day on the water the set up is easy two ring trap, cordage, zip tie for bait and a noodle for the float. I number them too as the law states.
                    XXXMedium

Hobie PA12
                    Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem (Snakehead Rig)

Comment

OH and I have been hearing that crabbing has not been on fire lately. That said, I have not personally soaked any baits.
                      XXXMedium

Hobie PA12
                      Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem (Snakehead Rig)

Comment

Originally posted by XXXMedium View Post
                        I use two ring traps. When I go (not a lot) I use the most that the law will allow to make the crabbing go a little faster. Chicken or clam. I target 8 to 12 feet. with the amount of traps I run (when I do) a run takes about 45 minutes end to end. I try to get 24 crabs. sometimes it takes a couple of runs other days I put back 4 crabs after 6 hours and find solace in a fantastic day on the water the set up is easy two ring trap, cordage, zip tie for bait and a noodle for the float. I number them too as the law states.
                        How do you transport your ring traps on your kayak enroute to where you will drop them off at? Do you just stack 20-30 ring traps in the rear of you kayak or do you have a tub they lay in?
                        Also, do you use a float to ensure your lines don't lay flat on the bottom of the ring?

Comment

Working...
                        X