If you could only use 3 lures :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could only use 3 lures :D

Hi everybody, in an attempt to extract your fishing secrets I'd like to challenge you to choose the 3 lures you would take kayak fishing if your livelihood depended on it.

I'll go first....

The Mepps comet minnow as everything hits it including bait fish.

6" or 9" chartreuse gotcha grubs for the rockfish.

Bomber's black and chartreuse crankbait as Ive hooked up with sizable strippers and blues on it.

Honorable mention: The classic silver KastMaster spoon.

Of course I try my fancy new lures before using any of those

Without a doubt, my top choice of three would be a simple 3 inch paddletail on a jig. The jig can range from 1/8 of oz. to 1/2 oz. depending on application, casting or trolling and depth of water. But I think this is by far the most productive lure available, especially for tidal fishing:

P1010846 (2).jpg

Next would be a bass popper modified by removing trebles and adding a single dressed in-line hook on the back:

IMG_0308.jpg

The above style works well for stripers and bass.

Third would be a jig-spinner of some sort, either with a Mr. Twister tail or bucktail. My favorite size is 1/8 oz. for perch. They'll catch larger fish too and you can also upsize them with larger jigs if you want to specifically target larger fish:

Jig Spinners (2).jpg

Finally, honorable mention would go to a weedless fluke or paddletail as advocated locally by Joe Bruce. This is a killer in ponds with thick vegetation. Here's one with the tail nipped off a couple of weeks ago by a hungry pickerel as I dragged it through heavy spatterdock:

P1040861.jpg

We each have our favorites for sure. I'm also convinced that your favorite lure will turn out to be your most productive lure. That's because you'll gain confidence and proficiency with it as you use it. It's fun to try new lures, but I think you'll do better in the long run by learning to use only a few well. You'll also find that you can carry fewer lures and rods in your kayak.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-11-2019, 07:59 AM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hard to argue with Mark's choices - all very productive lures.

For me, I would qualify Saltwater and Freshwater, although there is some overlap for sure. Assuming we are talking about targeting perch/rockfish and other likely species in salt/brackish water in the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries, my choice would be as follows:

4" Zman DieZel Minnow if Opening Night color - this can be jigged or trolled, and big perch and rockfish will hit it. Just ask moc, yakmac, and anyone at the Lowes Wharf M&G last year!

For topwater, something like a Storm Chug Bug in silver/blue or silver/black.

And finally, as Mark suggested, a Beetlespin with white or chartreuse grub or twister tail. This will catch anything that swims!
      2015 Hobie Revolution 13
      2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Three lures of my choice
        Three inch reaction innovation little dipper any color
        Rico
        Plastic worm Texas style

Capt Mike

Comment

In no order:

Pointer 78
          Safety Pin style spinner jig 1/8 ounce with green pumpkin curly tailed grub
          Whopper Plopper

Comment

Jig, Spinnerbait, and Jerkbait
            Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
            Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
            Northern Pike: 24 inches
            Crappie: 12 inches
            Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              Without a doubt, my top choice of three would be a simple 3 inch paddletail on a jig. The jig can range from 1/8 of oz. to 1/2 oz. depending on application, casting or trolling and depth of water. But I think this is by far the most productive lure available, especially for tidal fishing:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25287[/ATTACH]

Next would be a bass popper modified by removing trebles and adding a single dressed in-line hook on the back:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25288[/ATTACH]

The above style works well for stripers and bass.

Third would be a jig-spinner of some sort, either with a Mr. Twister tail or bucktail. My favorite size is 1/8 oz. for perch. They'll catch larger fish too and you can also upsize them with larger jigs if you want to specifically target larger fish:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25289[/ATTACH]

Finally, honorable mention would go to a weedless fluke or paddletail as advocated locally by Joe Bruce. This is a killer in ponds with thick vegetation. Here's one with the tail nipped off a couple of weeks ago by a hungry pickerel as I dragged it through heavy spatterdock:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25290[/ATTACH]

We each have our favorites for sure. I'm also convinced that your favorite lure will turn out to be your most productive lure. That's because you'll gain confidence and proficiency with it as you use it. It's fun to try new lures, but I think you'll do better in the long run by learning to use only a few well. You'll also find that you can carry fewer lures and rods in your kayak.
              Mark,

Where do you get your dressed single hooks? I can't tie anymore with my arthritic fingers and need a place to buy some.
              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

John,

I tie my own on Owner in-line hooks.

I'm not into production tying, nor selling. But if you want only a few and if you supply the hooks, I'll be glad to dress some for you.

PM me.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I buy dressed J hooks at the winter flea markets and shows. I like to use a larger J hook with bucktail on my poppers. Most of the tackle shops carry them too, but may not have all the sizes you like.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Silver and blue kastmaster, silver repala, white propeller jig with grub or paddle tail.
                    PigPen - Mt Airy
                    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

As lousy as fishing is in 2019, it doesn’t make much difference...but with different circumstance, my three favorites- Top water-Tsunami Popper, Bonk A Donk, Zara Spook...soft plastic swim bait- Sea Assassin Pearl/Chart and Limetruse...spinner bait- Perch pounder and home made Redfish magic...Crankbait...XRap XR-10 olive color
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                      X