Severn River Perch...An Exercise in Accidental Minimalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River Perch...An Exercise in Accidental Minimalism

Feels like forever since I've been on the water in the yak. Went out in a power boat a couple days after the big rains stopped and saw some interesting stuff floating down the bay (fun stuff like tree trunks that had just enough boyancy to hang under the surface). Anyway, its been a while.

Launched at Jonas Green park for the first time, hitting the water around 3:15. Got to the launch and discovered that I had forgotten all my tackle. Doh. But I persevered. I had my rods, and through the miracle of laziness I had two perch catching rigs still tied on two of them. My arsenal consisted of one chartreuse Shad Dart with yellow curly tail on one rod that I had used for crappie on Rocky Gorge, and a 1/2 oz diamond jig tipped with a curly tail and curly tail teaser on the other.

So off I went. I hit the piers just upriver from the launch, casting and jigging around the pilings with the shad dart. I got a hit right off the bat, but did not connect. Turned out to be a small blue, judging by the near-surgical bite mark in my poor curly tail. With my hopes now as tattered as my poor soft plastic, I rethreaded the ravaged bait, and persevered.

Eventually I found some hungry, and surprisingly burley, perch. I let the first couple go, because you never know what kind of fishing day you are going to have, and kept on jigging around the pilings. I started playing for keeps when I started catching consistently. With some fat fish on the stringer I moved out in front of the piers and started working the diamond jig. The perch were all over it, hitting the 2" powerbait teaser over the jig with white grub about 2:1. Had a real stud on the jig come off boatsite, would have been the biggest fish of the day, at 12+ inches. Even got a double header. Surprisingly few small fish, too.

Anyway, cleaned up with about 9 fat fish on the stringer, releasing twice that to swim another day. Not a bad day. Nothing like incidental preparedness through inherent laziness.

-John

Last edited by jsquare; 09-23-2011, 06:26 AM.

Your perch catching success was far better than mine. Nice going.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice catching !

Chimo

Comment

Some times having no option to change lures is a good thing- makes you focus and concentrate on technique and presentation- I use a tiny jig with a sassy shad black and white body on ultra light spinner for perch- that is a blast on 11-13 inch perch- like fighting a much bigger fish- Perch don't taste bad, either- congratulations on a nice mess of dinner table fare.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice work! Im planning to be in that area to target Perch and crabs tomorrow. I normally just use a gulp minnow on a jig with spinner, but Im intrigued by your 1/2 oz diamond jig and teaser rig. Could you give us some more details on this setup? I'm having a hard time picturing it.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

That's getting it done. Thanks for the report. That's the kind of perch stringer i will be looking for this weekend.

Comment

Those are some nice perch. Perch are cool because you don't need everything and the kitchen sink to catch them. I like a minimalist day every now and then.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by shadyfisher85 View Post
                Nice work! Im planning to be in that area to target Perch and crabs tomorrow. I normally just use a gulp minnow on a jig with spinner, but Im intrigued by your 1/2 oz diamond jig and teaser rig. Could you give us some more details on this setup? I'm having a hard time picturing it.
                Couple quick pics of the trusty rig. Diamond jig came with a big trebble hook. Took that off and added a smaller hook and a swivel. Teaser is about 12" above that tied like a dropshot bait. Little swivel is starting to rust, so might have to go back to the drawing board on that, or start rinsing off my tackle.

I like to cast it out and twitch it back in the direction of the drift. It works well in deeper water when the perch are cruising around the oyster beds like at Hackets Bar.

Comment

Nice stringer of fish!
                  Sun Fishin'

Comment

Nice looking stringer of perch. Would like a stringer or two like that to stock up before winter. Is it a big paddle to reach the spots? Never been there. Was thinking about going Sunday morning. Anyone else headed out to Jonas park?
                    2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Comment

thanks for the pictures

Nice stringer of fish for sure! I have been mostly a freshwater angler for the majority of my life. and when I did salt water, more times than not I was long casting from the surf. I am have recently been trying to get into kayak fishing with the help of a friend. I purchased a kayak recently so I am looking to collect all the tips that I can get so that I can be proficcient at salt water kayak fishing as well. Just wanted to say thanks for the pictures! they gave me some stuff to shop for the next time I am at bass pro.
                      keep up the good angling over there!

Comment

Working...
                      X