Severn River report-7/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River report-7/13

Launches out of Weems Creek this morning around 6am, marked some fish at the mouth of the creek so I threw a zman minnow and got a hit right away. I’m pretty sure it was a white perch that just had the tail as it fell off as I got it out of the water. Saw a lot of breaking fish so I tried tossing a nomad chug Norris popper at the sporadic breaking fish but had no luck. They were definitely stripers. Also tried casting 3in zman minnow and a 4in magswimmer but no luck on those either.

After about 2 hours I gave up on rock and headed back into weems for perch. Caught about 15 perch in 45 mins or so and all of the were nice sized. At least 4 were 9-10in. It was some good action for sure. It was a little tough to throw spinners in certain places because there was a lot of grass beds along rocks and rip rap. I had most of my luck in a heavily shaded area of the creek.

Still looking to catch my first rockfish off the yak in the Severn which has proved difficult for me as I’m 0 for 7 now lol. I’m not counting the juvenile stripers I caught targeting perch. I may make a trip out to the bridge in the am since the wind forecast is looking pretty good. If anyone wants to get together tomorrow morning at sunrise to try to go for some rockfish let me know! Pretty much willing to go where ever working 45 mins or so of Annapolis.

Matt

Matt,

Nice report.

I was in Weems yesterday. The water in the back was muddy and had lots of floating debris from Thursday night's rain.

It was much cleaner toward the mouth. I also saw a few breaking fish at the mouth but I didn't target them. I was more intrigued by the wind and tide driven current on the north bank at the mouth. It reminded of moving smallmouth water. I picked off three perch quickly there on the fly. None large:

P1030752 (2).jpg

I did hook a nice 11 incher in the back of the creek in the coffee colored water:

P1030749 (2).jpg

Clearly the thumping spinner helped that fish find the bait in the stained water.

I didn't catch many. The guys with me each caught more and one even topped 40 fish. Weems was choked with SAV as you mentioned. It's also still very much location driven-- feast or famine in spots that in past years reliably held fish.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I got on the water at Sandy Point State Park before 4am I targeted Perch with a bottom rig and earthworms. I was able to hook up at will on small perch on the down stream side of the pilings. I even caught a 16 inch Rockfish on a worm. I would have never thought that was possible.

As the sun came up, I used one of the small perch to live line for Rockfish off the pilings near the middle of the bay. The Rockfish would have none of that. The wind picked up and I pedaled back to calmer waters and caught perch with a lure. Things started picking up with charter boats and weekend boat traffic. I went to the middle of the bay to see what everyone was doing. The wind had slowed down but the boat traffic was steady. Everyone was cleaning up on the Rockfish by live lining Spot. I met another kayaker, John, and he had some extra Spot. John gave me some Spot and I was in the game. I quickly caught 7 Rockfish and I think 3 were over 18 inches. I don't have measuring stick so I don't know for sure. The Rockfish seemed to be slow for everyone expect the live liners.

I got off the water at 11am. Thinking about going crabbing tomorrow but that is another post.

If your looking for the Rockfish, they are at the Bay Bridge. Just make sure you bring live Spot!

Eric

Comment

Mark, the water seemed to be relatively clear from the launch out to mouth but mouth was much clearer. At the north point is where I picked my first few up as a well. And yeah you can tell right away back there it’s time to move on if you don’t get a hit after a few casts. If you find a nice spot you’ll get one every cast.

Comment

Eric thanks for the report, I might have to consider that I haven’t done much live lining and to do so will probably require a trip to anglers in the morning. I’m still wary about venturing out to the bridge because the last time I was there I just did t feel comfortable with all the people on jet skis not really paying attention. I’m also not confident enough to paddle out to the middle from sandy point yet. If I go I will probably stick to the closer pilings and riprap along shore.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish123 View Post
            Eric thanks for the report, I might have to consider that I haven’t done much live lining and to do so will probably require a trip to anglers in the morning. I’m still wary about venturing out to the bridge because the last time I was there I just did t feel comfortable with all the people on jet skis not really paying attention. I’m also not confident enough to paddle out to the middle from sandy point yet. If I go I will probably stick to the closer pilings and riprap along shore.
            Live lining requires you to stay close the pilings. I have a pedal kayak so its a bit easier than a paddle kayak but it was very challenging with the current and other boaters.

I think you can do good live lining on the pilings closer to the shore. Keep moving from piling to piling until you start catching.

Anglers sells the Spot starting at 5am. You will need something to keep them alive until you get to the bay. Once in your kayak, you will need to keep them fresh with a bubbler or a minnow bucket submerged in the water.

Right now it's almost a 100% chance you will catch rockfish with Spot. I hope to get out next weekend and catch some more.

I love summer!!

Comment

Originally posted by justeric View Post
              Live lining requires you to stay close the pilings. I have a pedal kayak so its a bit easier than a paddle kayak but it was very challenging with the current and other boaters.

I think you can do good live lining on the pilings closer to the shore. Keep moving from piling to piling until you start catching.

Anglers sells the Spot starting at 5am. You will need something to keep them alive until you get to the bay. Once in your kayak, you will need to keep them fresh with a bubbler or a minnow bucket submerged in the water.

Right now it's almost a 100% chance you will catch rockfish with Spot. I hope to get out next weekend and catch some more.

I love summer!!
              A normal fish stringer with separate clips for each fish will also keep the spot alive for a while, just be careful that it doesn't wrap around anything.

Comment

Working...
              X