hrbt 9/23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hrbt 9/23

Hit the water at 930pm on 9/22 fished until 500am 9/23. Met up with rob choi at the launch. Great guy. Ended the night with countless rock, small blues, some burly croaker, some decent size grey trout and toad fish. Just getting lines wet waiting for the tkaa thing to kick off. Its gonna be wet. New to to setup for the light line is a 6.5' up rod spooled with 10lba braid to a zman jerk shad on a worm hook.
    Last edited by Pinch; 09-23-2011, 06:01 AM.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Yep- that is a pretty typical catch on the south side of the HRBT- school stripers, tailor blues, croakers, (there should be some puppy drum this time of year) sea bass, and school Grey Trout. Pinch - there is a rock jetty on the point at Ocean View that holds fish and several holes around Fort Wool's rocks that hold fish. The Hampton side holds flounder on the flats around Fort Monroe and lots of croakers. Trying to get a larger fish to take the lures is a challenge, as the school fish are generally higher in the water column and the lure has to pass through them before getting to the larger fish. Trout are generally below the blues closer to the bottom. Back in the day of monster 20 pound Blues and 12 pound trout, We used to bring in a big grey trout head after the blues attacked the hooked fish.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

nice! im pumped for this tourney! MKF boys are gonna tear it up!
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Great job. Thanks for the report.

What is the advantage of the shorter rod? Is it easier to pitch under the pylons? Is the bridge really low to the water where you are fishing?

I have not fished the light line their but i'm assuming you are pitching the baits into the light line of the bridge and letting the current push it into the shadows created by the bridge.

Good luck this weekend.

Comment

Nice work on a wide variety of species. I like fishing that light line. Good to hear that there are decent-sized weakfish around.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Caught my largest striper at the light line!! 25.25 inches also caught some toads and croaker and blues!!
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
              Caught my largest striper at the light line!! 25.25 inches also caught some toads and croaker and blues!!
              Very nice. Getting good practice in before the tourney i see.

Comment

HRBT? Somethingsomething Bridge Tunnel?
                2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

HRBT- Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (I-64)
                  MMBT- Moniter-Merrimac Bridge Tunnel (James River by New Port News Shipyard)
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                    HRBT- Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (I-64)
                    MMBT- Moniter-Merrimac Bridge Tunnel (James River by New Port News Shipyard)
                    Ah ok. I'm a New Jersey boy, idk all of these Maryland/Virginia terms yet.
                    2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                    X