The boys are back in town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The boys are back in town

Headed out to a semi-favorite spot today hoping for some schoolie action and maybe a few perch. Arrived at the spot and conditions were ideal wind wise, one of those days were the water and sky merge into one.

After some searching I had my rod almost ripped out of my hand and a 20” striper started my morning. Immediately released and no pictures, can’t preach what you don’t practice. A few seconds later a 15” speckled trout was in the boat, and in the cooler. For the next 2 hours I was catching quality stripers and specks. Ended up with 9 stripers, 8 of them over 17”, 7 (yes that right 7) speckled trout between 12 and 17” and a needlefish. Here’s the 17” speck, released as I only need one for my house.

As the current slowed I switched to bottom bouncing and caught 3 small flounder, a spot, and a mad crab.

Didn’t appear like the tide was in any hurry to start back up so I headed in and caught a nice 10” perch to round out dinner.

I started with a chartreuse bass Assassin but I was getting short hits by the specks (I could feel weight that wasn’t a perch) so I switched to 3” chartreuse Gulp on a small 1/8 oz jighead. Caught everything except the flounder which wanted white Gulp.

It was really good to see the boys back in town in significant numbers today. This was in St Mary’s and that’s as far as I’ll go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Figures, a week after the M&G, guess the couple of cool nights helped the fishing down there.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

SOMD Trout.jpg
      John B

Jackson Cuda 14 (Yellow Jacket)
      Hobie Outback (Papaya)
      Jackson Coosa (Forest Camo)

Comment

Originally posted by gtrfan View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]25346[/ATTACH]
        Always a danger, thus vagueness on location
        Mike

Comment

I know, just kidding. I used to see a similar meme in Virginia Beach area when the reds arrived.
          John B

Jackson Cuda 14 (Yellow Jacket)
          Hobie Outback (Papaya)
          Jackson Coosa (Forest Camo)

Comment

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Mike-nice report and nice fish. I spoke with some folks and saw their video of large pods of dolphins/porpoises up the river around Sharks Tooth this morning. For future reference, could you please include more detailed background pictures. s/
              Tight lines
              Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
              Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
              Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
              Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Originally posted by ski357 View Post
                Mike-nice report and nice fish. I spoke with some folks and saw their video of large pods of dolphins/porpoises up the river around Sharks Tooth this morning. For future reference, could you please include more detailed background pictures. s/
                LOL. I did leave one photo out as it was rather incriminating on location. I have not resorted to “fogging” the background as I understand may have happened on a few photos long ago on the forum. What I really need to do is to learn how to insert a false background, like a picture of the bay bridge, into all pictures.
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                  LOL. I did leave one photo out as it was rather incriminating on location. I have not resorted to “fogging” the background as I understand may have happened on a few photos long ago on the forum. What I really need to do is to learn how to insert a false background, like a picture of the bay bridge, into all pictures.
                  Actual untouched photo that might show location.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Mike

Comment

That is a great report. Well done. I hope to test out your southern MD waters again next weekend.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That is an awesome day, Mike. Congrats on the multiple species and lots of action. That picture above is particularly detailed. Time to break out Google Earth and scan until I see "fish was here" typed onto the water's surface.
                      Matt
                      Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
                      2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
                      10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Working...
                      X