9/23/11 - Rain on Upper Potomac River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/23/11 - Rain on Upper Potomac River

This year I've focused on fishing new areas of the Potomac with my kayak and only been on my jet to my regular haunts a few times. I met up with an buddy from another fishing forum and hit the Potomac on Friday in the rain. The river really was in excellent form. Water clarity seemed to be 2-3 feet with a green tint. Water levels seemed perfect too. Seemed like enough water to paddle around freely, but not excessively high, muddy, or too fast a flow.

I need to get some sort of a broom handle like my buddy was using to hold his position in the river. I did a lot of paddling up and drifting down, while my buddy was locked into position with his broom handle through a scupper hole.

Together we caught 50-60 fish. I caught two 13 inch smallies as my largest fish. All fish that I caught were in excellent condition and healthy. The 12 and 13 inch fish were starting to plump up. Fish seemed in a mood to chase moving baits, and that always makes for a fun day. I started off with a white buzzbait and caught one quickly in the shallows, lost a pretty big fish near a submerged ledge, and then caught a couple more. I moved to a tube to try something different and didn't have any strikes. I also got tired of getting hung up, so I switched to a beetlespin/grub combo and caught fish regularly. I really liked the Virginia side of the river and that habitat seemed to have some nice chunky rock and dead wood stacks that offered numerous fish. Once I lost the beetlespin to a rock snag, I put on a blue fox in-line spinner and caught plenty of fish on that in the faster current seams. After our long paddle up river we floated back down around an island and my partner was killing them on his black buzzbait. I caught one one a shallow diving crankbait and then caught a few more on my white buzzbait. I'm tired. It was a great trip, even with the rain. Excellent fishing companion, wonderful river, and plenty of fish.

That sounds incredible. I haven't done any smallie fishing this year. Sounds like I should do a trip soon.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
    X