Patapsco (Mostly) Dink Fest 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patapsco (Mostly) Dink Fest 2019

Launched at Armistead this morning around 5:30. Crossed paths with Ryan (Shady) and we chatted a bit before heading out. I began by trolling south towards Stoney Creek in ~15' of water. Lots of bait near the surface and marks on the FF, which was fun for me as it was my first time at a local spot with my new Garmin Striker 4 all hooked up. Marks were small, white perch and schoolies as I would later learn. Not even a bump on the troll, so I swapped to topwater and targeted some pier ruins. Saw a splash and casted over to the area with a JBR pencil popper and was rewarded with a nice explosion from a feisty 20" rockfish which was quickly released. Also jigged up a 17" rock on a metal jig which was my first time catching one on metal. My buddy uses them in the Eastern Bay and swears by them. Guess they get it done here too!

Trolled back and began hunting for perch to live line. Ryan had locked in on a school and was very gracious and passed me a few. We hung out and chatted for a bit before I headed towards the Key Bridge. Nothin doing there so I found a dropoff and drifted a perch while casting a perch pounder. In about 8-9' of water I found numerous schools and began landing solid perch nearly every cast. Most were of a high quality, and there were some schoolie rock mixed in as well. It was my first time live-lining and I really enjoyed it. It's nice having the live perch off to one side while casting from the other. I saw the rod bump a couple times but unfortunately I think it was smaller rockfish who really just pecked all the perch to death. May they float in peace.

Overall, it was great to see tons of life in that area. Most perch were in 8-10' while the bigger marks were in 15-20'. There were probably7-10 crabbing boats working the area hard. It was also really cool to see some of the MASSIVE container ships/tankers coming through the channel. Good god those things are big. Probably ended with 30 perch, 5 small schoolies, and the two bigger rockfish. A great day on the water and awesome to meet Ryan (who crushed some big perch) and share some fishin stories.
    Matt
    Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
    2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
    10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Good report. It really seems like fishing is trying to come around to some semblance of normal.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice meeting you out there Matt! Yesterday was finally a really good trip for perch for me for this summer. A few dozen super dink stripes and one cat rounded out a nice trip.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Looks like a fun outing man. Is ft.armistead as sketchy as everyone tells me to launch at? I moved closer to Baltimore a year ago but still go to the Annapolis area to launch.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish123 View Post
          Looks like a fun outing man. Is ft.armistead as sketchy as everyone tells me to launch at? I moved closer to Baltimore a year ago but still go to the Annapolis area to launch.
          It is a bit sketch. Dont leave valuables in your vehicle, and I personally would not trust leaving my truck there after dusk.

That being said, the launch puts you into some great water.
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Nice striper!

Comment

Thanks for the report Nice to see the fish. I almost went there Saturday but ended up not going. I have done very well there vertical jigging metal spoons with rock and perch and also usually get 3 or 4 channel cats on them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Fish123 View Post
                Yeah McHottie is definitely correct. It's one of those boat launches that seems to be a magnet for creepers. That said, I've used it probably a dozen times and never had an issue besides kids down there smoking/buying weed. When the conditions are right, it's really a productive fishery. Just take one scan of the area on Navionics and you'll see the variety of depths, flats, dropoffs, channels, etc.
                Matt
                Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
                2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
                10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Working...
                X