Sightseeing and a Little Bit of Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sightseeing and a Little Bit of Fishing

Went with my wife and some friends to Great Bohemia Creek, launched at the Bohemia River by the bridge at 213. It was more of a sightseeing tour than a fishing trip, but I always try to get in a little fishing on those trips too. My wife has been wanting to see the Lotus blossoms since we first got into kayaking in the summer of 2017. We missed them last year due to bad launch research and a VERY windy day. Anyway, it's about a 2 mile paddle from the launch to where the blossoms are, which by the way looks VERY snakehead-y! On the way to the creek, I was casting a spinnerbait in the usual shaded banks and lay downs. I was using a bigger bait, sized more for largemouth, hoping to weed out the smaller perch that would normally hit my beetlespin. Mission accomplished...I caught one VERY chunky 11" white perch. It his so hard, and the initial head shake made me think I might have hooked into a tidal largemouth. When I saw the color, I thought it was maybe a striper. Next fish was a channel cat that hit the spinnerbait on the pause, when I thought I had some line wrapped around my rod tip. He was only on for a couple of seconds by the boat, but judging from the parts of him that I saw, it was probably around a 20 incher.

Didn't get any pictures of the fish, but this is me back in the creek:

image004.jpg

Next week, we are going to Turners Creek Landing - we saw some other kayakers yesterday and they told us the Lotus are in full bloom this weekend. Turners Creek is off of the Sassafrass. I expect to find the same usual suspects there - white perch, catfish, etc. Not sure if stripers will be up that far, but I will not be targeting them anyway. I do intend to look for any sign of snakeheads.

Steve
    2015 Hobie Revolution 13
    2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Beautiful bloom.

Nice photo.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I got out for a quick dip yesterday. More of a relaxing cruise, and wanted to explore a new area, but threw topwater and spinners with no takers.

Didn't realize how far i'd pedaled, had a few close calls with motorboats getting back to the launch, forgot my white 360* light and it got to be a little 'DARK' haha

Turner Creek looks like an excellent place to explore!

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Thanks for the report, glad you got a couple fish.

Comment

Working...
        X