First trip out... success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First trip out... success!

A huge thank you to Ron who so generously took me out fishing this morning. It was my first time and it was great. I learned a lot and even caught one little guy on my last cast. I have so much still to learn, but I feel much more confident. I made a few rookie mistakes but today was all about learning and having a good time... which I definitely did plenty of both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on a successful first trip! I'm glad you got to tangle with a cat! They're a fun little fight
    Matt
    Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
    2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
    10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

First trip out... success!

You are very welcome, Nicole...My first kayak trip out was with Snaggedline forum guys...it is payback time...Bill, Martin And Kevin took this novice out way back when. You did very well today...you listen well and paid attention to detail...I tried not to “hover” and allow you to experience your own learning lessons until it was time to step in and assist...the location was good for what we wanted to do today. The only downside was getting a 15 pound plus catfish in the cockpit driving its spine into the web of my right hand between the thumb and first finger...that hurt like hades! Homing home with a nice cooler of fresh fish for supper had to be the cherry on top of a good day on the water.

IMG_0703.jpg
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nicole,

Congratulations on a successful first trip. Like Ron, my first trip on big water was with a bunch of snaggedliners, and funny you speak of rookie mistakes - I had my share. I will list just a few of the ones I can remember:

1. Multiple wind knots in my braided line
        2. Knot to lure failure
        3. Braid to leader knot failure
        4. Reel fell off of reel seat, in the middle of fighting a fish

In spite of all of these mistakes, I still managed to catch 7 rockfish that day, the biggest one was around 18 inches. Of course, I spent so much time re-tying and re-rigging that most of the guys I was fishing near caught over 20 on the day! That was the day that got me hooked on kayak fishing around the bay, and it inspired me to upgrade to a pedal kayak - I started with paddle kayak. Keep at it, keep going out, keep learning, and keep asking questions.

Steve
        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
        2016 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Thank you guys so much. I was trying to be a good student because I know I have a lot to learn. Thanks so much for being patient with me and understanding. I know I have a lot of questions, most of which probably seem pretty silly to the experts. But who better to learn from then them? And Ron definitely thanks for sharing your catch with me! That was very generous and much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X