Weems recent fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems recent fishing

I got out for a couple of hours on Monday.
    My fishing season is rapidly winding down as I got asked to help out with a high school JV football program, and practice starts next week (once the kids are back in school and "two-a-days" are over, I should be able to get out occasionally during the mid mornings).

There was a rising tide when I started. There was a stain to the water with perhaps 12 inches of visibility, a far cry from the 3 feet we had in June.

I did manage to catch a "mess" of perch, plus another tiny striper, but none over 7 inches. It was interesting to see several fish contesting the lure, trying to take it away from the hooked fish, especially when a 16" striper tried to do so as well. About 1/2 of the fish came off of two concentrated areas, the keys were rip rap, shade, and weed edges. With the high tide, it was difficult to skip casts under the docks. I did manage several on the spinner jig by just ticking over the tops of the still prominent weed beds.
    Still an odd year for me, numbers and size wise.

Everything I caught was in the lower reaches, I caught nothing in the area above the bridges, in spite of the shady shoreline. I probably should have fished further out towards the Severn, but wanted to stay more in the shade.
    Last edited by bignose; 08-08-2019, 03:54 PM.

Stu,
    Was seining for some specimens for the aquarium in Back Creek. Netted a juvenile Pickerel along a grassy area near the mouth of Back Creek. Let it go, knew it wouldn’t survive in the aquarium, but maybe it’s a sign of better times for them.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Thanks for the report Stu.

The SAV just won't relent this year. I suppose it's good. I'm just not used to seeing so much of it in areas that formerly lacked it.

Good luck on the gridiron.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
      X