Point Lookout 8/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Lookout 8/11

Oops, should have been today, 8/12. Us old guys not good with dates.

SMOG met at PLO with a fashionably late 8 AM launch to catch the rising tide (floats all boats they say). There was a slight SW wind, maybe 7 MPH. Let me tell you, there’s a whole lot of fetch when SW and an incoming tide goes directly into it creating very sloppy conditions. I foolishly headed down to the lighthouse and sandbar, picking a few stripers up along the way but bobbing around in some 2-3’ waves working against the current. As I headed back in I saw breaking fish along the riprap and that started a fantastic morning of chasing breaking fish until we got tired and left them. While most ranged in the 10-12” range there were 18’s scattered in the mix and the occasional keeper. Fortunately for us the wind abated so that we could follow the schools.

We could see Spanish Mackerel leaping ahead of some of the schools but hard as we pedaled we couldn’t catch up to them. At one point there was a school of stripers a couple hundred yards long down near the swimming beach and lighthouse. I also picked a 14” speck up at the sandbar as well.

In addition to the game fish we wanted there were some we didn’t want. Needlefish were around in the thousands. I actually caught them 4 different ways today, one I hope to never duplicate. I caught them on topwater, on a jig head with Gulp, snagged on a jig head, and lastly I was bottom fishing for flounder when one decided where the line entered the water was good to eat so he bit the line and wrapped itself around it so I had a needlefish suspended on my line no where near a hook.

Ron had similar success. Gary wisely stayed near the inlet early and got a Cutlass Fish before having to leave. It was so much fun having breaking schools of fish again.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Sounds like a good time minus the 2-3' swells. Needlefish scare me, would hate to die by one of them jumping out of the water at 35MPH right into me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark

Congratulations.

You're the first example of successful snakehead trolling I've heard of.

Personal bests on a kayak-
    Bass - 18.5''
    Striper - 22.5"
    Snakehead - 28"

Comment

2-3' swells scare me, i could deal with the needlefish
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Mike, good to hear that. Saw the same thing at St. Clements yesterday. At one point we were looking at 8 different schools at the same time out by Heron Bar. Constant catching for a couple hours. No shortage of shorts. A few close to legal. A couple 16” bluefish.
        Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
        Predator 13

Comment

Point Lookout 8/11

The rogue wave on the sandbar 300-400 yards off the Point was the one that soaked me...dumped about 800 gallons in my lap...thankfully it was 81 degree water...on one point Mike and I were questioning our sanity, but as the tide slowed the chop and swells calmed down some...we actually left fish breaking in huge schools, so tired of catching fish...had one screamer pulled drag like a freight train..nice big fat striper, but too rough on the bar to even attempt a picture...got back near the light house off the bar and took a few pictures...the bar was a beast today.

IMG_0713.jpgIMG_0726.jpgIMG_0715.jpg
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-12-2019, 05:44 PM.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread. Very interesting reading this as I was just there on 8/9 to fish the incoming. Caught blues on the bar on my father’s boat and ventured on the kayak after. I found a ton of bait in the inlet to conoy and perch/small flounder. Did not venture outside as it was very rough after a severe tstorm. A returning cobia boat said fish were breaking outside in cornfield.

I would suggest to head opposite the sunrise from the launch. The lack of skill/preparedness from this fisherman was all that prevented a great evening. Would be curious what more experienced and better prepared anglers did in the same waters.

I’d be back to try again if I didn’t wake up the following morning with shingles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Even with the wind, sounds like you had fun!
              John Rentch
              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

John...after the worst chop was over is when I got a 3-4’ roller that rolled in over the cockpit dumping right in my lap...that is why I called it a “Rogue” wave..it came out of nowhere without warning...no boat was near...just the edge of the deep water and 4 FOW sandbar...refreshing in that it cleaned out the slime and wet me down in the heat...but totally unexpected..not dangerous or threatened to capsize me, but wow! I had just landed a fish and was putting the rod back in the holder when it hit. We laughed about it and kept on fishing another hour before saying let’s go home...it was a scrapbook kind of day...when have you reeled in and stopped fishing in the middle of an acre of breaking fish all around your kayak?

Comment

👍
                  John Rentch
                  Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                  Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Waves like that remind me of a Sunday evening on the Severn when the water between the bridges becomes an I-95 for power boaters going both north and south rushing to get back to their home docks. It's wave after wave caused by speeding powerboats -- definitely not a good time to fish.

But you guys did great as usual.

The species variety a relatively short distance from us here in the mid-Bay continues to amaze me.

Congratulations.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Your not going to find to better guys to fish with than Mike and Ron, real troopers. The swirl and chop was going yesterday and the incoming tide at the inlet was really moving, rough going into it but fast coming back in LOL . I didn't do the Deadliest catch-PLO Division yesterday, but had fun back in Lake Conoy.
                      I got the Cutlass fish on a Redfish Magic lure, looking for specs and Reds.

Yak67
                      2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                      2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

Mark...there have been several very large Bull Red Drum (40 pound plus) caught and released that are underneath the schools of breaking fish as well as a few legal Cobia...the fish are not concentrated (very scattered) but big fish are notorious for ranging to the extremes of their normal migration range...nothing in the fish world would surprise me down here in Southern Maryland from 500 pound bull sharks to tarpon...you just never know...

Comment

Hmmmm... I'll be staying at Point Lookout campground Sept 30- Oct.4 fishing there for the first time.

Comment

Nice work guys. Of the three southern MD spots I fished during the last month, Pt Lookout produced the best results. But my catches were nowhere near what you guys found. Well done.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                            X