St Inigoes 8-16 so so day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Inigoes 8-16 so so day

We had not fished St Inigoes in quite some time, at least 6 weeks, and I conned Ron into joining me there today. I’ll admit my expectations weren’t high and St I pretty much met them. The morning started with a spectacular sunrise, really I enjoy these almost as much as the fishing.

Soon after that shot I hooked a quality 16” speckled on what used to be a grass flat, now it’s just flat. Don’t know where the grass went but it’s needed.

Let’s just say after that things slowed down a lot. I caught a few small stripers and a bluefish. There were definitely blues around as they shredded our plastics. Ron had wandered over to the channel and said he caught a croaker jigging a sting silver. Well two can play that game.

Winds started to pick up so we relocated to the St Mary’s River side of Kitts Point. Ron found some nice perch and a small school of breaking rockfish, but no size. We decided to head back. Ron stopped at a grass bank and I heard cursing as he lost a small redfish at the boat.

The construction at St I appears to be over but they’ve got the whole area fenced off where they built the living shore and have planted marsh grass.

They have however put in a very nice kayak launch with a carpet like material from the lot to the waters edge. Here’s Ron approaching it. The boat ramp is still there but this looks much easier on your boat bottom.

Finally, for you folks in Anne Arundel, this is called a honeywagon and it’s used to clean port-a-potties. They clean ours every 3 days.

Don’t think we’ll hit St I anytime soon as there are hotter spots right now down here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

With you on that Mike. Not been to St. I in a long time. Went last Saturday with low expectations. Idea was to fish area then paddle down to Potters hitting the 3 creek outflows along the way. Front of Smith Creek was loaded with shorts. Moved on to the creeks. With exception of a couple shorts and a postage stamp sized flounder I might as well been on the moon.
    Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
    Predator 13

Comment

I'm not sure AA CO Rec & Parks really know what a honey-wagon is!
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

St Inigoes 8-16 so so day

Cursing? Yeah, I apologize for using the lord’s name in vain, but I have not caught a Redfish this year and had one inches from my hand when it came unbuttoned! Darn! I hate that! Where did those beautiful, thick grassbeds go? Did excess fresh water kill off the grass? St.Inigoes had some really nice grassbeds...not now! Anyway, not bad, just not great..by our standards...
        Fist picture is the full moon at 5:45 A.M. launch, second is a croaker on a stingsilver jig and third is Kitts Point

IMG_0731.jpgIMG_0732.jpgIMG_0734.jpg
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Number #1 Reason I like St Mary's County, CLEAN Porta-Potties, and nice launches. Fishing is #2 LOL

Thanks for the report SMOG, hopefully catch you guys next week.

Yak67
          2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
          2019 Hobie Outback

Comment

I was there a couple of weeks ago... early in the a.m.

hearing of the construction.. but basically finished...

I thought they did a very nice job of constructing the beach area and the "matt" for wheeling you peddle boat, canoe or kayak to the water. Actually first time I had seen such "matt"... very nice.

It was a Saturday... and when I got back to the launch the beach was as crowded as Ocean City... which is cool..
            sort of had to do a ...."excuse.. me.. excuse.. me please.. excuse me..." as I put the kayak between the rocks to the "matt" and all the swimmers in the water.

Certainly I'm not a local... but it will be sort of a bummer all the beach will be closed off with the dune grass and the snow fences to people that would like a "beach" to hang out on the weekends... probably be some blow back on that.
            But I guess they County wants to keep the place "primitive."

Cool place... enjoyed it.

Comment

oh... as far as the "honeywagon"... I don't think it is a term reserved for Southern Maryland...
              not all of us are "city slickers..."
              Last edited by rob-kayak; 08-17-2019, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Yeah, rubbish collection could be loosely in the same category as pumping raw sewage out of port-a-potties...but there is just a different “mental picture” of the term Honey Bucket/Wagon in my mind...

Comment

sorry you missed the Red... know how hard you seek them and rewarding it is for you.

I knew what you meant on the "honeywagon," just couldn't find my photo I was looking for and remembered Vail's Honeywagon... another place I lived the trucks had written on the side of the "Guaranteed service or double your garbage back."

Down the eastern shore... I took over this abandoned house... and I had septic... so occasionally I had to have the real "honeywagon" come by and suck the sweet juice out of the hole in the ground... and it literally was a hole in the ground.

and then there was my shXt stick... a sixteen foot wooden stick I could ram up the discharge line to give the pipe a colonoscopy because tree roots had broken through... and blocked my "honey."

No heat... in the house.. just my kerosene heater.. light in the pump house to keep it from freezing... and often the bath tub would freeze up with a couple of inches of ice after my showers.

Loved every minute of living there... great neighbors.. good times.

And really like when I get a chance to get down your way... "down island..."

love_shack.jpg

Comment

Yeah, you are right! Silly goals we sometimes set for ourselves that become near obsessions...should be thrilled to be catching anything, much less obsessed by one rare species in our area...but Speckled Trout and Redfish have been consistently in our mix over the past years down here in Southern Maryland...Spanish Mackerel and Bluefish usually show in late July-early August in numbers, occasional Cobia and a few bull reds...the big White Perch over 12 inches are in the mix, too...and finally the really good top water action for 20 (+) inch Striped Bass gets going...love late August, early September fishing...but who knows? Anyway headed back out in the dark tomorrow morning to see what is biting...and I will be after it.

Comment

Working...
                    X