Solomon's and Mayhem at Cedar Point 08/18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solomon's and Mayhem at Cedar Point 08/18

Put in at Solomon's at dark AM. Paddled out to Cedar Point and south. Stopped by U research pier on the way and found a legal and a bunch of shorts. Trolled the rip rap by Pax and picked away at them along with a couple more legal. Once at CP the mayhem ensued. Within a few minutes after I took the pic below another 15 or so boats entered the fray. Schools were stacked up and breaking on and around the shoals (rock, blues and macs). You know what it's like to hear metal jigs zipping overhead... Answer.. not good. Nothing at all wrong with them but how about those boats trolling at mac speed that are so close you might as well extend the courtesy and clean their waterlines. Yes, things were tight. Party ended around 10:00. Caught some rock, (no keepers), a couple macs and blues. Worked my way back to U pier and picked along the way at the required distance from the base. Once at the U pier another keeper and shorts. I don't have access to the base so it's about 13 miles direct round trip to CP. Base access essentially puts you right there.

08182.JPG08181.JPG08184.JPG08183.JPGe
    Last edited by Fishtank; 08-19-2019, 11:24 AM.
    Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
    Predator 13

That’s some quality fish Tim. Ah, the joys of weekend fishing, and CP is not a big area so I can see the mayhem in my head. Thanks for the report.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Great report! Would love to meet up with you sometime if you're ever going after spanish again down that way. Would hog point or paradise cove campgrounds give kayakers access to the water?

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
        Great report! Would love to meet up with you sometime if you're ever going after spanish again down that way. Would hog point or paradise cove campgrounds give kayakers access to the water?
        Hog Point actually looks like a fantastic location if you can put-in. Shorter pedal/paddle than from Solomon's public launch. I'm interested if you get details on lodging.
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Anytime Sir.. Hog Point and Paradise Cove would shave about 9 miles round trip off the paddle as an alternate to Solomon's. Although I could be wrong, but I believe those places are restricted to military. Point Lookout may get you to them as well relatively close to the ramp.
          Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
          Predator 13

Comment

If you don’t mind a short sand carry you can launch a couple hundred yards from Cedar Point at the swimming beach. You do need base access, and if you fish in the creeks or within 75 feet of the base, a fishing permit which I think is free again this year.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Just sent you a PM
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

That is a hot spot for Spanish Macs the boat guys say.... just south of point, too...looking paddle to get there though

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                X