Weems Creek 8/25 baby snakehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems Creek 8/25 baby snakehead

Fished weems today and hit the mouth around 6 for stripers on top water and came up with nothing so started making my way up the creek and caught the usual white perch at docks. Also picked up a snapper bluefish which was a surprise to me. Wind picked up big time so I headed to the other side of the draw bridge casting my perch pounder at riprap and docks and caught 4 baby snakehead but only landed one and it slipped from my hand when I tried to take a picture. The other 3 shook off at the yak. Caught a 15in striper and a few that were maybe 6in.

Are snakeheads a thing in the Severn now? Has anyone here caught an adult snake?

Glad you got out on the water today !

Not sure about the snakeheads... I don't remember anyone posting about them before...
    could be my memory... a photosynthesis thing...

We'll have to wait for the "Weems Team" guys to report in...

Not sure if it is a good thing or a bad thing...
    although, in my opinion... not so good.
    As not a native species.

And it would be a scary thought if they were transplanted to the area.

Comment

A friend of mine caught one at the start of the summer in Sherwood Forest (Brewers Creek). It was probably 16~ inches. I'm not sure what he caught it on... But now we have a 5$ pot of about 10 guys to see who can catch one first in Sherwood Forest waters. Apparently they are here.
      Annapolis
      2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
      Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

These were 6-8 inches max, I’ve never caught a snake before so I was kinda confused at first. Those little things are slick and they were jumping everywhere while reeling them in. Are you supposed to kill them if you catch them?

Comment

Weems Creek 8/25 baby snakehead

I still have yet to catch one. As for killing them, I cannot answer that. I believe DNR still recommends it, but that is from a few years ago. Some people hate them, some people see them as a new gamefish that is not doing any harm. I really don’t know. I’ll let someone, such as John Veil, who is very in touch with the local environmental and Chesapeake bay stuff answer that. There was a big debate about this topic 9 months ago, and I think the general consensus leaned towards the “new gamefish” side.

I was under the impression to catch and kill. But some very valid points were given in favor of treating them the same as any other fish. I personally plan to release them if I ever catch one in the Severn. And at this rate that should be happening within a year.
          Annapolis
          2018 Vibe Sea Ghost 110
          Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 - For when the fish aren't biting

Comment

That is a notable catch. I have not found one in Weems, but will definitely start looking for them.

About a month ago, I saw several adult snakeheads in shallow water next to a dock in one of the Severn creeks farther upstream. I threw several lures at the fish but did not get any bites. I returned to the same spot last Thurs and did not see them this time.

Your catch today shows that they are clearly in the Severn, and if there are young ones around, they are already reproducing.

snakehead 1.jpg
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I personally love them as a new gamefish. They will bite in the heat of the day and have a great food value. Since they reproduce several times a year they provide tons of food for other fish to eat. If they overpopulate they eat each other. The strikes are like nothing you have ever seen from other local gamefish. Harvesting them for the table will not wipe them out. So the question is release or eat. Why waste a resource.

They are here to stay so embrace them.

Capt Mike

Comment

Snakeheads have moved down into St. Mary's county, too...creeks feeding into the Bay have them up and down the Potomac as well as St. Jerome’s Creek on the Bay...I would think the same applies across the water on the Virginia creeks as well...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Unfortunately they are here to stay and will keep spreading. Their impact on native species may not be as great as originally feared, but it is ignorant to think they are not having some impact. As a biologist, I will never celebrate the introduction of (another) non-native, highly invasive species. I have seen folks claim they would like to see DNR classify them as a game species and put size/creel limits in place. That would be incredibly dumb in my opinion, especially since the heavy pressure by DNR and anglers has not been able to have a significant impact on their numbers or spread. If I catch one, it's getting whacked, no matter the size.
                  Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
                  X